Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2001 GMC Yukon starting problems

Customer Question

2001 GMC Yukon with a new battery won’t hold a charge if the vehicle sit’s over night
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Something is staying on so your going to have to test for a draw. Use a digital ammeter. disconnect one battery cable and install the meter between the cable and the post. Now take a jumper wire and connect it to the cable and the terminal also. Close all the doors and shut off everything making sure you have access to the fuse box with triggering any power. Wait 5 minutes and with the meter turned on, remove the jumper wire. That will expire all the timers. Your meter should not read over 50ma. If it does, start pulling fuses one at a time untill the draw stops. That will be the circuit that's consuming power. Find out what that fuse supplies and locate the culprit. It could be a delay module or chime also.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thank you for your quick response. I installed a new radio in the summer of last year. That is only thing I can think of that could be drawing power. If so what do you suggest I do next?

Thanks Again

Rantz
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Does your Yukon have Onstar?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to diablo666's Post: Yes it does and I added and a new Alpine radio that required an special adapter for the radio and OnStar to work.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Your Onstar module may not be going to sleep.Was a recall done on your vehicle where the viu was replaced?If so it needs to be manually reconfigured.