Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1996 chevy monte carlo: the distributor..oil leak..gaskets

Customer Question

how do you change the o ring around the distributor for a 1996 chevy monte carlo. have oil leak and have changed all other gaskets . i can see that thats where its coming from
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

It doesn't use an O ring. Chevy uses a round gasket under the lip. They rarely leak. Are you sure it's not the back of the intake manifold?  

The info I'm finding says that car doesn't even have a distributor

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0e/c6/a5/0900823d800ec6a5.jsp

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: i know it dose not have a distributor. what im saying is we have changed the manifold gaskets and any other from the bottom up. and still it leaks. i can see where it is coming from. the drivers side close to the fire wall where a distributor would be!! is there any way to fix it with out taking the heads off????? please help.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 First you have to find out exactly what the oil is coming out of. Process of elimination doesn't work here.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: okay the drive shaft o ring is leaking.......... is there a easy way to replace it??
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
oupps the oil pump drive shaft o ring   sorry
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i was looking for a easy way out. is there any way to fix this with out taking the heads completely off?? if so please let me know. thank you brenda powers
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
okay just so you know this is a 1996 monte Z34 with dule over head cams. so sorry to keep buging you.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 How about an engine size somewhere here?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
okay the sticker from the car says 1996 lumina/monte carlo 3.4 liter v6 engine fule injuction   catalyst feedback fule system it has dual tailpipes    thats all i know thank you brenda powers
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 3.4 is the part you never mentioned. A lumina and a Monte Carlo are 2 different cars. Either way, I can't find anything on the 3.4 and I can't remember how it's set up. I can't tell you if the heads have to be removed or not on that engine. It's quite different than the rest of them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
see this is what i mean.... it is a monte carlo 3.4 and the guy that is doing it said there is just know room to get in there with out taking off the heads......       you see at first he thought the leak was coming from the intake manifold so he changed those gaskets.monte carlos are known for that, he all so replaced the three lower spark plugs and wires for me cause he said we would never get to them . some old hoses and such.he is a good guy and im just trying to find him some help. he said that he hated to have to tell me but there is just know room in there and he sees know other way than to take the heads off to fix it.after he got it all back together and ran it it still leaked. he used air to blow it off and he said that thats where it is coming from. just trying to save him some trouble and time. thanks so much . if you can think of anything please let me know.. brenda powers
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

THEN LET HIM DO THE JOB
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you very much for all your help... brenda powers
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
You can get a distributor gasket and cut it on 1 side.Then open it up to go around the oil pump drive and apply rtv to both sides of the gasket.I t must be cleaned with a solvent like brake clean before applying the gasket and rtv.The upper intake manifold will have to be removed to do it but that is much less work than pulling the rear head.If you decide that the heads must be removed only the rear 1 needs removed to repair it.The method I described has worked for me on several occasions when the customer was low on funds.By the way I hope this guy really,really,really knows his stuff if he is going to remove the timing belt from this engine to remove the heads.