jon_050
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Domestic and Imports
28561

1997 Dodge grand caravan: my Power Control Module, there..dash board

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Dodge grand caravan. I just replaced some battery cables after the car has been dormant with a dead battery for about a month. I know that in order to reset my Power Control Module, there is a sequence I must follow using the dash board butons of my heater/defroster (they are blinking when I set the igintion key into the stand-by position. Can anybody tell me the proper way to proceed?
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
 Are you asking how to reset your vans PCM or climate control?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 There is no procedure. Connecting the battery clears everything and it relearns Idle strategy and fuel adaptives automatically..
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I know this is not so if the car has been dormant with a dead battery. the ignition timing goes so far off the mark that the vehicle won't start... the dashboard lights flash, and the AC unit lights up like a christmas tree. I had it happen once before while the vehicle was under warranty. A dodge tech came out and reprogrammed it. It involves pushing the AC unit buttons in a particular sequence while the igintion key in in the "on" position. I once knew the code, but I've forgotten it (GRRR!)

The "Dodge boys" treat it like some kind of secret handshake, so it isn't published in any service manual. It ain't written on the bathroom wall of my local dealership either ( I checked)There won't be a dodge mechanic in my 'hood' until monday, and I need to be roadworthy immediately...

can you picture my frustration right now????
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Chain pulling may be the case... I'll see soon enough if it's my timing chain in particular that they are yanking on....

I know full well that the mumbo-jumbo with the defroster buttons stops the dash lights and AC unit from doing the "Las Vegas" number that they are currently performing...

I'll follow the proper procedures for checking out my cam shaft and crank shaft sensors... but holy cow, three weeks agao the car ran great... all I did was replace some corroded battery terminals, and now she bucks and kicks when I crank the starter... without firing up... just like the old days if a distributor was installed out of phase.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
cleared battery a number of times (neg terminal removed first, then positive--reverse to re-attach)
no soap.

plenty of fuel pressure (tested at valve stem on fuel rail)

the starter motor is definitely turning the flywheel. I get a momentary kick after about three rotations... enough to send the helical gear on the starter into retraction, but engine does not fire up (helical grinds at this point... forcing me to shut down ignition)

have yet to test injector voltage, but I doubt it's fuel starvation... I suspect no spark (a blast of ether down the intake manifold gave no life--even for a moment)

Finally found the applicable quote in my Haynes Manual:

"If a problem is detected, an error code is displayed by flashing lights on the dashboard pushbutttons. The error code can not be eraSED until the condition is repaired (in this case no voltage) and diagnostic test performed (the hoochy coo dance on the pushbuttons)... because of the detailed sequencing procedures and complexity of display codes, these diagnostics and testing should be done by a dealer or qualified repair shop."

man ... does that grate my cheeze!

Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
 Do you have digital display on your dash?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
another quote from my Haynes manual:

"Caution: do not disconnect the battery from the vehicle to clear the (PCM) codes. This will erase stored operating parameters from the memory and cause the engine to run rough for a period of time while the PCM relearns the information"

In my case, the engine is running so roughly that it won't even start. This is all a moot point by now... my local dodge dealership opens in ten minutes. I will have a tech person talk me through the reset procedure using the dashboard pushbuttons (I hope he will be generous with the information) Thank you for the attempt
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
 Are you going now?