Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1996 Ford Mustang: GT. Driving home the other day..tires and shut off

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford Mustang GT. Driving home the other day, it hit 3rd gear(automatic), chirped the tires and shut off. Since then, it does not run or start. It still turns over and gets gas, but there is no spark. Since then i replaced one of the coil packs, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, and the computer. Everything else still works except that the blower only blows air out of the defrost, even if a diff. place is selected.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
 The heater control doors are run off engine vacuum if I'm not mistaken.    

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I see. Any information on why it may not be starting would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  Info is in above link you have to trouble shoot the problem unless you want to just throw parts at the problem I'd be happy to give you my educated guess list of parts to start changing.  

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I was told that it may be the key, actually the guy said it was def. the key. But, the theft light doesn't flash when the key is used. Also, i was told that a bad key wouldn't allow it to start, but it also wouldn't just shut it off by a guy at a dealership. Any opinion?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Also, when the battery is almost dead, that is when it almost seems to get spark, because then it starts to pop and almost want to start but by then, the battery stops cranking. On this 4.6, the coil packs each have 3 wires going to them. The one in the middle is the 12v source, which they both still have, but the 2 outer ones which are alternate negative ground, never ground. I did a test light check on this a while ago. My one buddy who works for ford checked to make sure that the wires from the PCM to the CPC were good still, and they were. He also checked the Throttle Position sensor and a couple other things im not quite sure of right now. I greatly appreciate your help. I love my car and I didn't drive it for 5 months and I have a lot of money in aftermarket parts in it and I just need my baby back. I guess it looks like she might be going to a shop soon.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I don't know if it could jump time and if that would completly shut the spark off because of the CrankPC and the CamPC. I was told the CrankPC was only for start up and CamPC was for reving. I should have got something from the 60's or 70's. I wouldn't have this bull sh*t problem.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
96 up do not come with an ICM, the PCM incorporates this. There isn't spark at the plugs. Some one once told me that the sputtering may be caused by what they said, dieseling, basically compressing the gas till it explodes.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

You are going to have to get a break out box to figure this one out
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
The ignition control module is located in front of the right front strut tower and is what you most likely need.Regardless of what you think the module is there.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: ICMs were on the 5.0 94 and 95 but they are not on 96 and up. The PCM incorporates the ICM into itself.   http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/a8/53/0900823 d801da853.jsp
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: sorry, you have to click on distributorless ignition systems. my bad, but i have just look under the hood and its not there, also i check the repair manual and it says the same thing, 96 up do not have an ICM.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Ok, your right about the module being in the PCM but that doesn't mean it still can't be the problem. Start with a couple basic tests. Pick up a noid light and check for injecter pulse and then remove the plug from the coil. With the key on check the red/LtGrn wire for 12v. If no power check fuse #18. Now use a diode testlight that shows power or ground. Make sure it is a "computer safe" diode light. Check for ground pulse when cranking at the DkBlue/LtGrn wire at coils 1/2 and then Pnk/Wht at coils 3/4. If you have no pulse anywhere, take a hard look at the crank sensor wiring. After eliminating all the wiring as potential problems, I think your looking at a bad PCM.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Ive already check those wires and the light doesnt flash. The crank sensor has been replace and the wires from the crank sensor to the PCM were check and are good. This car has been a pain, I have been working on it for 4 months now when I have the chance, and Ive made no progress.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have already replaced the PCM and you can obviously smell the gas coming out of the exhaust because I have side pipes on it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Previously i checked all fuses and relays and they all worked properly.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Your going to have to do some pinpoint tests, with a labscope preferably. If you have crank sensor signal at pins 21 and 22 coming into the PCM and no pulse coming back out from pins # XXXXX and 78 You have a PCM problem. If you've already changed the PCM then you need to look at it's grounds. They could be anywhere. Start at the battery and look over the entire car for a ground missing or bad. This could be anywhere on the car.  

You should have grounds on pins # XXXXX and 77

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
all grounds are ok.

i am lost here, the damn thing should run.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: all grounds are ok, just checked them again
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

How do you know that so fast? How did you test it?

You need to look closer. Your dismissing you last option.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i took the pcm out and test those pins with a light. i hooked one end to the positive terminal of the battery and probed the grounds and the light went on.