Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

grinding

Customer Question

I have a ’97 Sebring convertible w/ 135,000 miles. I have recently noticed a grinding sound coming from the front wheels. It is not noticable when driving straight but when I turn the steering wheel, as when changing lanes, that is when I hear the grinding sound. Metal on metal is what it sounds like. What is it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Somebody needs to take a look at it. It could be brakes, backing plate rubbing or even a wheel bearing noise.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Somebody needs to take a look at it? Wow what a great answer. I can't imagine that I didn't think of it myself(note the sarcasm). I suppose I would have to pay more for a more detailed answer but hey, I'm having somebody look at it and will have to pay him to fix it
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Sorry, my crystal ball isn't giving me a clear image at the moment. Maybe you should try a palm reader instead of an Internet forum. I gave you the NUMEROUS possibilities. Physical examination is the ONLY way to see what happened.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Maybe you just need to kiss my ass but hey, I'll take part of your advice and not waste my time or money on here again. You didn't give me NUMEROUS possibilities. You gave me three possibilities.

BTW, it turns out that the noise was coming from the tires. Apparently certain Goodyear tires begin making noises such as I described when they are about half way through their service life. I put new tires on and the sound is gone.

I wouldn't imagine that tires would have come to mind for a "master technician" making his living on an internet forum.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Sounds like you had a little problem giving an accurate description of the problem.

"It is not noticable when driving straight but when I turn the steering wheel"

"Metal on metal is what it sounds like."

If you described a tire noise that way, no wonder.

My answer was more accurate  than your question.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: What's interesting about that is the technician here in Michigan said, and I quote, "The noise that you are hearing from your tires can easily be confused with break grinding or wheel bearing grinding."

It is amazing that this guy, who is not a master mechanic, gave me all the options you did in your first reply plus a few others, including the possibility of the problem being the tires.

Keep trying to make your living off of donations from a website. For me this is my last post here.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 WHAT? Make a living doing this, with guys like you asking questions. This is lunch money, and that's only if we can avoid guy's like you.