Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 Toyota: first put..ext cab..it make a big clunk and goes

Customer Question

We I first put my 1999 Toyota ext cab pickup it gear it does not want to move when you give it gas and then it make a big clunk and goes right long. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? Rob in Rural Retreat VA
Category: Car
Expert:  Nick Sparks replied 11 years ago.
Manual or automatic transmission?
Here is the answer if it is automatic. The cable that
connects the shift arm to the transmission shift lever (on
the transmission) is probably failing. The design of the
cable used on those trucks is such that failure tends to be
gradual, not sudden. Revving the engine is probably
enough to jog it the tiny bit of travel that it needs to go to
engage. It will probably get gradually worse until you are
forced to crawl under the vehicle and tap the shifting
mechanism with a hammer to get it to shift. Obviously, this
is rather dangerous, but in a pinch it can be done as the
parking brake is generally more powerful than the ability of
the truck to move, in gear, at idle.

My own approach would be to verify the cable is the
problem with visual inspection, then buy one and pay a
cheap neighborhood mechanic to put it on. It's not terribly
difficult. The cable is expensive, however -- over $200.

Nick
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 A shift cable will not give those symptoms but, low fluid will. If it doesn't turn out to be that simple, it gets more serious. Internal leakage in the pump seals will cause it to lose it's prime at low RPM. Racing the engine increases the oil pressure which eventually makes it engage but the RPMs are so high, it just slams into gear. You really need to see a transmission specialist as continuing to drive it this way will do considerably more damage than you already have.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nick Sparks's Post: Automatic
Some excellent points are made by others, and I think you
should weigh all the opinions. In defense of the shift cable
theory:

(1) It is easy to check and rule out, so why not do so;
(2) I have seen it happen on that year and model and
repaired it myself; and,
(3) There is something in particular about the way the shift
cable is designed on that model that allows the problem to
happen as the cable wears out, even though it is not the
typical cause of such problems on most cars.

I am not trying to argue with anyone here. Just wanted to
offer a thorough response, which is intended to
supplement, not compete with, other answers.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Although the shift cable can cause some problems with gear selection not matching the display, it plays no part in throttle position or response to throttle changes as described in this particular problem.