Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

2000 S10: volt meter..12 volts..I push the accelerator to increase rpm

Customer Question

My 2000 S10 volt meter fluctuates at idle {600 rpm} 14 to 12 volts back & forth a few times. I can make this happen whenever I want. I push the accelerator to increase rpm to approx. 1200rpm. As rpms are coming down to idle, volts drop down to 12 volts, eng. returns to idle volts return to 14. But this symptom is most noticeable at idle. Lights dim for maybe two seconds at 12v, lights return to normal at 14v. It acts like it has a quick amp draw, this has no effect on vehicle performance that I can see or feel. It always returns to proper idle & accelerates just fine. Note: alternator was changed due to BRG failure. It had this problem before & after alt. swap. My vehicle has approx. 95,000 miles, this symptom has been happening approx. 35,000 miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Look, your last question was deleted for getting testy with the techs. You still don't have a problem with your car. That is a perfectly normal condition so don't get started again.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: AS I STATED THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR APX. 35,000 MILES. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW TECHNICIAN 501, LOOKING AT THE QUESTION LIST, YOU SEEM TO GIVE THE MOST INTELLIGENT ANSWERS. THE OTHER BOYS THAT RESPONDED TO MY QUESTION SHOW EXTREME LACK OF INTELLIGENCE & NEED TO BE DECERTIFIED. UNFORTUNATELY, YOU COULD NOT PRODUCE THE ANSWER THE FIRST TIME THAT WOULD REMEDY THIS SYMPTOM & CLEARLY NOT THIS TIME EITHER. SO WITHOUT YOUR SLANDEROUS TALK; IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS SITE WHO MIGHT HAVE AN INTELLIGENT ANSWER TO THIS AUTO QUESTION.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 OK, I warned you.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
     You think your gona get answers from anybody here your nuts!!!!  

BOY
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: approvazione, ringraziamenti; other wise know as,
ok, thanks;

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: vostro il la cosa migliore di tutti. other wise
known as   ( your the best of all.) please; is there anyone else.

Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Do you really want an answer or did you just come here to entertain yourself as a heckler?

And what language are you teaching us?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: I’m waiting for the right answer, so far I’ve received mostly smack talk

ITALIAN
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sto aspettando la giusta risposta, finora io ho ricevuto principalmente il colloquio dello smack

ITALIAN
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

You're not gettin an answer.

ENGLISH

Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
ground strap coming from motor to body cowl
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 50 yrs old lol
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: You can’t & could not; answer the question; engine BOY, because you don’t poses the proper knowledge to be answering these simple customer questions . You are a sore looser with a bad attitude .either that or you work under a shade tree.                   & nbsp;                   & nbsp;      PS   don't cry. Im sure you will get it right some day.

sincerely XXXXX XXXXX knows.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: Thank you for your reply. I am a certified ASE mechanic. This vehicle is my daily commuter vehicle. I also believe my vehicle has a bad ground connection. I think you’re right on the money, this has been my thought for a while. I haven’t taken the time out to verify this yet. I’m sure you have heard this, but who wants to work on their vehicle after working on other vehicles 10 hours a day. Just to let you know I’ve asked this same question to several other ASE mechanics . It’s hard to find good answers. They all try to send me off to the parts store to buy different parts -that I know will not repair this vehicle. For example, replace your IAC valve.   My reply, my vehicle always returns to proper idle. In a nut shell its hard to find good help.              
Thanks for your time.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
4dasho on 00:11:56 2004-10-13 asked:

I have a 1997 Ford Sho and recently the lights blink or get dim both exterior and interior.I have had battery and alternator checked both are fine,what can it be?

(NNN) NNN-NNNN on 00:31:50 2004-10-13 says:
   If the lights suddenly appear to have dimmed from bright and your battery light does not come on, you should check the 'ground' straps and associated links. Perhaps they need a good brushing off to complete the contact. If your battery light, does come on/off, the 'built in' regulator inside the alternator is supplying the voltage intermittently and deciding not to, at times. With the motor running, hook up the volt meter or a multi-meter (If you have access to one) and see if the battery is receiving 14/15 volts, consistently from the alternator. If results are good here and you do see a reading of 14/15 volts coming in, then definitely, look at all the 'ground' links including engine to body ground strap.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 OK, now lets see you fix it, smart guy. Bet you don't.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Hay kevin stick it up your a++

You don't know anything 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Smart guys, As if either of you could ,I gave you all the time in the world to answer this question, All your answers should be free.

PS don't be poor sports.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You haven't proven or fixed a thing, and you never will. I'm sure you'll never tell the truth about it so how about you just get lost and everybody will be happier, and this advice is free.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HEY, engine BOY. USE HEY, not HAY, If you are trying to get someone's attention.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Are you still upset, its ok if you don’t know some answers, just don’t act like you do. These people are trying to pay you guys for( good advise. )