Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1994 Nissan Maxima: stays..the wipers are engaged...and I..car.

Customer Question

I own a 1994 Nissan Maxima and the panel light clock stays on with the key out of the ignition..also sometimes when the wipers are engaged...and I leave the car..ignition off...the wipers still working. The battery is dead in 3 or 4 days if the car is not used. What can I do? Where do I look for the answer to this problem. Thanks..Walter
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I don't have a schematic to look at but I would bet it's equipped with a "keep alive" relay that keeps your accessories operating after the car is shut off, until you open a door and then it's supposed to shut off. Does the radio stay on when this happens?  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: NO THE RADIO SHUTS OFF. I THINK THAT IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DUE WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH, LIKE IT MAY NOT BE TURNING OFF ALL THE WAY SOME TIMES. I HAVE SWITCHED IT ON AND OFF A BUNCH OF TIMES AND THE CLOCK LIGHT WILL GO OUT MOST OF THE TIME BUT SOME TIME IT WILL STAY ON AND I HAVE TO TURN IT ON AND OFF AND IT WILL GO OUT. I AM GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CLOCK LIGHT IS OUT WHEN I SHUT IT OFF AND THEN I WILL LET IT SET FOR FOUR OR FIVE DAYS TO SEE IF THE BATTERY WILL STILL GO DOWN. THANKS WALT
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 If it were the ignition switch, it would also include the radio. You would need to study the schematic to find the source of the power, but I doubt it's the ignition switch. It's a lot more likely to be some kind of delay module that's malfunctioning.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I THOUGHT THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE IGNITION BUT IF NOT THEN I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR ADVISE. THANKS WALT
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  To check your problem when the car is doing it's little thing see if you have power at the white and red wire off the back of the ignition switch if you do replace the ignition switch if not replce the accessory relay number1.  

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I HAVE NO DRAWING. HOW DO I FIND THE ACCESSARY RELAY #1   THANKS WALT
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

relays are found in varios locations usually within the engine compartment. The relay cover identifies each relay location.

Look for a black box probaly near the battery take the cover off and there are your relays. (little boxes) that unplug