Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

95 pontiac bonneville: with 112,000 miles

i have a '95 pontiac bonneville with 112,000 miles. Upon cold startup, it burns a small amount of oil. Can you estimate what the cause of this is?
And you know this how? Because you see blue smoke from
the exhaust, or some other way?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nick Sparks's Post: Yes, Whitish-blue smoke comes out the exhaust but then clears. Smoke does NOT continue after the car is running and it does not smoke after subsequent starts when the engine is hot. I know it can be any number of things, rings, seals, etc. Anyway to know for sure by running a compression test?
 Does it blow smoke after idling for extended periods? Is it actually consuming measurable quantities of oil?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: No. I've not noticed it blowing any smoke except upon start up when cold. I change the oil every 3k and this time at 2000 miles she was down 3/4 quart. I added 3/4 and then she was down another 3/4 after another 1000. I really don't think it's burning any noticable amount after start up - at least that I can see.

Oil is a consumable item your burning it at start up is definatly not a ring problem but thats not to say you don't have worn rings.

The smoke at start up is probabily valve seals or guides.I don't think thats where 3/4 of a quart is going there could be a ring issue also it just isn't showing up yet.

Driving habits can add to oil consumption as well as engine wear.And the older the oil is the faster it will pass into your combustion chamber and burn off.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is your engine is showing signs of wear and repairing it propperly would invole diassembly and checking these parts for wear. this is something you will have to weigh against the price of a new ride.

The type of oil you are using may slow this down. What oil are you prasently using?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I'm using 10-30. I will change to 20w - is that a smart thing to do? I live in Indiana and warmer weather is coming - still in the 20's though for lows temps. Incidently, I just changed the oil this weekend. Just tonight I started the car after it sat for just an hour and she really smoked upon startup - it's getting worse.

I have a buddy (non-mechanic) that had the same year car which had the same symptoms and it turned out to be valve seals. I'm trying to save $$ as much as possible (obviously) and not dump a bunch of cash into an old ride. Would a compression test isolate it to the valve seals? Wish there was a cheap, reliable arm-chair mechanic in Indy that could do this.

The conidtion definatly is valve seals if it's getting worse maybe you have one failing (a tear in it) I would change the seals will probably take care of the hole problem
Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: OK, thanks. I will take that route. I don't suppose you have any buddys in Indy or know anyone that would do this correctly and cheaply?
Thanks for your help! DN
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Thank you!

It's  A "B' tech job as far as dificulty any good shop should be able to do a competent job. Anymore question on this issue please feel fre to post them

Thank you Regards

Enginboy