jon_050
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Domestic and Imports
28561

32:05.2

Customer Question

I need to remove the transmission bend bar and the motor mount on a 1997 plymouth neon to get the oil pan off, but the bolts won’t budge. How do I get them off?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The bolts are stuck because they go into aluminum soak them with penetrating oil and tap them with a hammer let them sit over night if posible then soak them again hit them with a hammer once in awhile.

I've found that PB blaster is the best penetrating oil.

the use of six point tools will help prevent stripping the heads of the bolts.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I did what you suggested and now I'm letting it soak in overnight and I'll let you know how it went tommorow around 7 p.m. pacific standard time.
Expert:  Nick Sparks replied 11 years ago.
Don't be afraid to apply more penetrating oil throughout
the day.

If there is oil or dirt that might slow the oil from migrating
up the shaft along the threads, clean it off as best you can.

In my experience penetrating oil almost always works if
given enough time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nick Sparks's Post: I let them sit for a couple of days and kept adding more penetrating oil still, nothing. I'm about to give up.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I tried penetrating oil for a couple of days. I added more about twice a day and tapped the bolts with a hammerm and still they won't budge. Is there anything else I could do?
Difficult cases can take days, and require steady blasting
with the oil. When I am working on a stubborn project, I
soak it every time I walk by.

Your problem is complicated by the fact that the
penetrating oil probably has to travel against gravity. Most
of these oils do have capillary action and will travel up but
it makes the task that much harder.

Sometimes I mix or switch penetrating oils when working
on a project that has multiple stuck bolts. I tend to use PB
Blaster, Liquid Wrench and WD-40. Many people like PB the
best but I have found that all of them perform pretty well.

Obviously, you do not want to break the bolts, and applying
heat with a torch is out of the question. Using an acetylene
torch on lug nuts is quite common, as you may know, but
won't work here. To the extent that you can make changes
in the heat of the parts by changing the heat in the garage
or running the vehicle, you may gain a slight edge.

These things are a matter of patience and using every trick
in the book.

Make sure you have cleaned around the bolts heads (like
with a wire brush) so that the penetrating oil can get into
the threads and circulate upward. You almost want to see
the liquid being "sucked in" to the crack, though the effect
is subtle and often it is hard to know what you are seeing.

Use six point sockets, as mentioned.

Putting a long extension on the handle of your ratchet or
wrench will probably lead to breakage. Rather than yank on
a long extension, I like to give it short, sharp, gentle tugs.
You are capable of exerting very short bursts of strength
that exceed what you can apply steadily and which often
"put you over the top," giving you just enough force to
exceed the friction that is holding the bolts stuck. (When I
say extension here, I mean, for example, putting a puipe
over the handle of your ratchet. I am not referring to socket
extensions between the ratchet and socket.)

If, after all this, I was still stuck, I PERSONALLY might take a
butane torch, like plumbers use to melt sodder, and play it
over the aluminum around the bolt heads. Many people will
state that this is a risky idea, and I agree, but I am prone to
trying chancy things under certain circumstances. The trick
here is to get some heat in without roasting anything,
including fluids inside the unit. Having a chum assist with
either the wrench or the torch might be helpful, as
aluminum dissipates heat quickly.

Please let me know how you make out.
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Did you get the bolts out? I have heard a few dodge boys complain about the nasty threadlocker chrysler uses.

What have you tried? Have you tried heat. Heat may be necessary. When the bolts are hot spray with penetrant so it gets sucked up in. Don't use heat if you are not trained to do so.

FYI- The best method to remove frozen bolts is to heat with a torch and cool with refridgerant. I've heard some amazing claims with this method.