Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

heater..no air being blown from any of the vents reqardless..fuses

Customer Question

I own a 1998 Cadilac. The heater blowe has quit atleast there is no air being blown from any of the vents reqardless of the settings. I have checked all of the fuses I can find. They are all good. There was no previous problems or noise. The heater just quit.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 They have a considerable amount of problem with the blower motors in these. The blower control module is built into it and that's usually what fails. They're al little hard to change also because it is very tough to fit the motor between the engine and the case. Some techs with cut out the top section of the case and Hot glue it back together.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: This is what I expected you to tell me. I was hoping there might have been a relay or another fuse to look at. I used my fluke and back probed and was pretty sure the motor would have to be replaced.
It just looks like a tough job to do.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Frank
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Yes, clearance IS a big problem. It can be squeezed in with a lot of prying and swearing but like I said before, some techs use and air saw and simply cut a section out of the top of the box leaving a bolt in the section cut out so there will be something to hold it in after. Cut a hole large enought for the squirrel cage to fit straight up through it. Use a hot glue gun to seal the cut after the repair. Between the firewall mounting bolt and the screws for the blower motor, that piece will be secure after.

If I've answered your question, please be kind enough to click on the "accept" button.