bfox4546
bfox4546, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  10 years experience.
46404

Fuel pump..engaged..a carburetor engine with a badly adjusted choke

Customer Question

I have replaced the fuel pump and filter-forward oxygen sensors-when passing gear is attempted to be engaged the engine bogs down like a carburetor engine with a badly adjusted choke
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Do you have a check engine light?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Yes. The engine light is on continuously
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The key to your problem is in the codes stored in the cars ECM get the codes read and post back the code numbers and we can help no more guessing. Autozone will read the codes free but they are not too hot in the diagnosis department
Expert:  bfox4546 replied 11 years ago.

Victor,

Also, Be sure your air cleaner element is clean.

Two things that come to mind are a restricted or plugged exhaust, or a

plugged air filter element. However, as engine boy said, pulling the trouble code is the key to finding what the problem is.

bfox4546, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 10 years experience.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Does this get worse as it is driven longer?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I just came in to work and received your answer. I truly appreciate your help. I was told at the dealership that it may be a bad transmission. I thought it may be electronic. I will contact you after I have relayed this information to the dealership techs. I will contact you as soon as the problem is solved, for your records. talk to you soon. Thanks again! Vic
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: yes, it begins to lose power after it is driven 30-40 miles-then I have to pull over and rev the engine for a few times and proceed-this will repeat after a few miles- going up a grade it will lose all power and one has to turn around because it will not make it. The dealer felt it may be a catalytic converter,and it may be, but generally a converter will kill the engine and there is plenty of pressure coming out of the exhaust.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to bfox4546's Post: I just wanted to thank you for your answer. I checked the exhaust system and te catalytics were clear. The problem was a feather was against a sensor in the air intake system. Your advice appreciated Vic
Expert:  bfox4546 replied 11 years ago.

Vic,,

Glad you got it straightened out.

Best Wishes