jon_050
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Domestic and Imports
28561

99 Toyota Corolla CE: runs good..autozone..trouble codes..misfire ever

Customer Question

99 Toyota Corolla CE, runs good, but recently, the engine light is on. We had it checked at the autozone, and was told three trouble codes: 300, 301 and 446, which might be some problem like misfire. We did not feel misfire ever. Any suggestions before we take it to dealers for check? Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Have autozone clear the codes and test drive. If the engine light comes back on have the codes read again and let us know.

If you haven't changed the spark plugs and plugs wires, do so. Assuming you can do this yourself, you don't want to pay the dealer to diagnose and replace these items $$$.

Replace plugs and wires with the same brand that came in the car (dealer parts, don't settle for OEM approved or lifetime warranty).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: The engine light turned off after I added some gas the other day. Do I still need to have it checked?
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

If the light went off the problem is no longer present. No need to worry, unless the light comes back on or you notice any problems with engine performance.

How many miles?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The mileage is a bit more than 10k.
Thank you for your free post, I am not quite clear how it works. Whatever, really thank you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: what do you mean by it is not your answer?
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Not sure what you mean by this statement?

10k miles is very low. Once again don't be concerned about your car unless the engine light comes back on.

Do keep a record of the troublecodes (troublecode numbers and date) so if you have a problem down the road you can inform your mechanic.

If after a few days everything is okay, make sure you have a good battery for the winter ahead. If your car has the original battery now would be a good time for replacement. A cooling system flush and fill is nice also, not critical but good preventative maintenance.

jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Domestic and Imports
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Sorry, I wrote wrong, the mileage is 100k miles. Could it be a problem? Besides, it is a used car, we have it for only one month. So almost worried about everything. :)
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 years ago.
What was the meaning of the three codes you were given.? If you are truly worried about your car take care of the items the engine is telling you to take care of by giving you diagnostic codes.
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

I recommned against taking your car to the dealer for a problem you never noticed and your cars computer no longer detects.

I do recommend a tune-up if it's overdure. This is something that is needed periodically. The last thing you want is a couple hundred dollar troubleshooting bill, just to have the tech recommend a tune-up. The majority of the problem may have simply been caused by a little bad gas. Especially if you ran the car low on gas for the first time since it sat on the lot for 6 months.