Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1992 corvette: wont start when hot,engine turns..they wont work..ecm

Customer Question

1992 corvette,wont start when hot,engine turns over no start,after 15 min it will start,i get a sys and a security flash light after driving 10 min.i have brought it to 3 dealers,they wont work on it,today its 60 outside ,it has not done it,it works good now,it has something to do with heat,im thinking a componet is getting hot and breaking down,,,,on a hot day it does it on a cold day its fine,helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp i have been fighting this for two mos,three chevy dealers.gave up,anybody with lots of corvette experence out there,i think its the security sys,is there a way to kill the security sys to see??????????helppppppppppppppppp,,,,,do you aggree,one dealer changed the ecm,took a week to get it,it was worse,he put my back,,,,,
Category: Car
Expert:  Kwise replied 11 years ago.
If your coil is going bad It will not work after getting hot. Which means it won't start when it gets hot.

I would suggest a new coil.

If your fuel line runs too close to the exhaust it could cause vapor lock from getting hot. If that is the case you can reroute your fuel line or insulate with high temp auto insualtion.

It is most likely and hopefully your coil as vapor lock is the only thing related to fuel that would be affected after heating up.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to wisechoic's Post: this wont start trouble hot or cold now,also i dont get a trouble code at all,ill be driving and the instant mpg will show after driving about 10 min ,it shows getting 99 mpg then the security word blinks,left side of dash,and the word sys blinks across my display,and car wont start at times bur always starts after several times and rungs great after it starts all the time....
Expert:  Kwise replied 11 years ago.
How do you know if you are getting a trouble code? What I mean is have you actually plugged a computer into your module?

Now do you mean it will not start now when its hot or cold?

In other words it does start when it is hot or cold but takes several cranks to get it started.

I need more info to troubleshoot.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
 you have a securety code key problem the reader is not recognizing the chip in the key it usualy turns out to be the lock cylinder but I can't say for sure from this side of the keyboard.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to enginboy's Post: i heve owned over 30 vettes ,i bought this 92 on ebay,it turns over,but wont start at times,and like i said the funny thing is i get the security light and sys flashing while im driving down the road,after driving for some time i stop at the store or somewhere and it wont start,it has done this cold also,i short the conector and only get the code 12 and nothing else,i have had this clifford alarm and a remote start mod removed from it thinking it was causing this,then i brought it to the chevy dealer because it had a code reader connection missing,they put a new one and wired it,,,,,i drone the car today it wouln't start twice,but after sever times and 10 minits it starts
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
 Do you have a chip on the ignition key? Black plastic with wire running thru it. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i have two keys one came with the car,one i bought from the chevy dealer,,i dont know what you mean by a wire running through it..they both have the chip on them,,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to enginboy's Post: yes, two of them,one i judt got from chev dealer,dont you think if this was causing the trouble the engine would not even turn over?seems to me if the security sys kills the starter ,and the eng wont even turn over
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
 It sounds like your lock cylinder is having a problem reading the signal in the key chip when this happens they reset them selves after afew mins (10-20) they don't seem to shut off once there runnig but won,t restart for awhile if the don't recignize the chip. repaceing the ;lock cyl is the fix you also have to by a new key because the old one wont turn the new cylinder.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to enginboy's Post: how do we explain when this happens,my instant mpg shows 99 right when the security and sys flashes,i dont know if im having two trouble or just one,,a security problem and maybe a starting problem,but i think your leaning towards one problem
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
at 1st i thought the security sys was causing this,but i think if that was the case the starter would not turn over,then im thinking its the fule pump relay or fule pump,but once it starts it runs good,im trying to catch it again and run some test to determine a fule or electrocal problem,but you mention the cylender thing,,so i dont know...
Expert:  Convulted replied 11 years ago.
i agree with engineboy this sounds like a ignition lock cylinder what is happening is that since this is a 1992 the cylinder is geting old how it works is there is a chip in the key and if you look at the key the chip is visible on both sides and when you insert the key into the cylinder there are two prongs attached to wires these prongs read the code and send the info to the theft deterrent module which then sends the info to the computer (ECM) well after time the prongs get wore out and they dont make good contact. so the vehicle may start some times but as it vibrates they lose contact. now as far as the 99mpg problem cars are equiped with electronics and all electronics are the same if one thing goes bad it can cause other thisngs to act up. so i personaly would replace the cylinder and see if this makes it better.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
do you know how difficult it is to replace or do i have to bring it to the dealer?the only problem i have with this is ,when it wont start i would expect the starter not to turn,but it does,,maybe you are right,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
sorry guys,it was the ecm
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
That was a while ago but thanks for letting us know what it was regards enginboy