bestservices, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  owner auto and truck repair facility

96 Ford Taurus: oil leak..diagnostic..oil pan..oil sending unit

I have a 96 Ford Taurus. I noticed a small oil leak. After the diagnostic, the mechanic informed me that I needed the oil pan replaced, along with the oil sending unit as well. Does that sound plausible? Would an oil leak occur from both the sending unit and the oil pan? Is that typical in your opinion?

Rob Stamp
Category: Car
Expert:  bestservices replied 12 years ago.
It is commen for the oil pan gasket to push out at the front of the motor.(just behind the harmonic balancer) I have replaced many of these. Make sure he uses Felpro gaskets when replacing it. As far as the oil sending unit, they typically start to leak internally and fill up the boot around the electrical connector. So I quess in answere to your question it is possible and very likely.