tolsomman
tolsomman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Plumley Auto repair
36313

Truck wont start

Customer Question

OK, I think you’d have to be God to answer this one, but even tho asked him did not get a burning bush or anythiny as yet? So maybe you can atleast point me in the right direction? I have a Chevrolet, Cheyenne, 1995, with 170,000 mi. Has been running excellent. But slowly every now and then would die either while running or at times would stop somewhere and then whould have trouble getting started again? Anyhow has finally died and sometimes in the past I could put little gas in Carb. and would kick but up and run like nothing happened? But now that no longer works either? Couple times I would just leave it alone until the next day and then would start right up?? But now nothing seems to help? I’ve starting working on, but not to sure of anything yet? To me it seems might have more than one problem: like; no spark and again’no gas? Tell me have you heard anything like this? Or can you atleast tell me what I should be checking out next in order? THANKS   TONY
Category: Car
Expert:  bestservices replied 11 years ago.
   Pull the fuel filter and verify that the fuel pump is working. Change the filter while you have it off. Then pull a plug wire and see if you are getting spark. If you are not getting spark but, fuel is ok I would suspect the ignition module.(which is located in the distributor. Check the connections that run to the pickup coil(also inside the dist.) for corrosion and clean. The pickup coil is what tells the module when to fire the coil. Also when you are turning the engine over make sure you are showing oil pressure at the gauge. (this can also cause the engine to shut down) Hope this leads you in the right direction.
Expert:  tolsomman replied 11 years ago.
Ok when was the last time the truck had a tune up? Try cheap first then more on but like the bestservices said check the fuel filter adn replace it while you have it out, if you have a fuel pressure guage and a chiltons manual check to see if you are getting good fuel pressure. If you were able to put in the carbs before and it work then it sounds like a spark issue at this point. check the distributer if you are doing a basic tuneup for any carbon tracking or a crack in it. If that is the case you know what to do there is just replace. I would change the rotor and wires if you have not had that done in a long time and the plugs. THat for the most part is a basic tune up. Now also check if it is easy enough for you to do, your engine timing to make sure it is where it needs to be. Unless you have a light nad know what you are doing with that bring it in to a local shop to see if they can help you out with that.