Critter doctor
Critter doctor, Auto Dealer
Experience:  Chrysler ,Plymouth, Dodge, Isuzu, Jeep Eagle ,Ford, Fiat Dealer
20347

1988 Mazda 323: start position..ignition switch..pressure switch

Customer Question

1988 Mazda 323 97ci The engine will run as long as I hold the key in the start position as soon as I let off of the key the engine dies. It seems the fuel pump is not pumping when I let off the ignition switch. Is there a pressure switch or something of the sort?
Category: Car
Expert:  Critter doctor replied 12 years ago.

Simple, Go to the local parts store and purchase an ignition switch.

You may try to install it yourself but this requires some special tools . Better get a friend or foe to help.

The electric terminals are simply worn out.

Mazda's are nice and dependable, change all fluids regularly and the car will run for a long time.

Husband of Vet ( critter Doctor )

The Car Dealer

Victor

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected Critter doctor's Post. Reason Given: I already checked that out, it (the switch) was checked out by a parts store and checked out ok.
Expert:  bestservices replied 12 years ago.
If the switch checked out all right, you need to check the oil pressure switch. Many of these systems use this switch to trigger the ground on the fuel pump relay. The switch overrides this system in the start position.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected bestservices's Post. Reason Given: On this particular mazda the oil pressure switch only sends a signal to the guage
Expert:  rjautomotive replied 12 years ago.
When you let off the key, and key is resting in the "Run" position, Do your acessories still work? blower motor,power windows (If equiped),radio, and so on?
No pressure switch.
If you have a dvom then we can help you get this one figured out. But, I would not rely on what a parts guy told you. IMHO    Roy

An ignition switch is not much , put a new one in and see. I have never heard of a parts man being able to determine if a switch is good or bad.

Don't spend a lot of money but allow yourself an honest try.

The obvious choose is usually right. If not it is a process of elimination that you know is correct.

Glad to help

Victor Dealer 

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.