T.R. Miller
T.R. Miller, VR-4 Owner/power train specialist
Experience:  12 years of Mitsubishi VR4, Talon, Mirage, Laser, Eclipse., rebuild., refurb., modify. and scanning.
4805

2.0- manual transmission..ignition coils..control unit..crank sensor

Customer Question

I have a 1993 eagle talon with a 2.0- manual transmission I am having trouble starting the engine I have checked the power transistor and the dual ignition coils primay and secondary all check good with ohm meter The power transistor was also checked out with a meter all is good... I have a feeling its either the crank angle sensor or the mpi control unit since I am getting no visual spark at plugs. How do I check out this mpi and crank sensor with an ohm meter to be sure of which one is at fault   
Category: Car
Expert:  T.R. Miller replied 12 years ago.
You are actually on the right track sort of. The problem is the capacitors inside the ECU. There are three, all have a sort of acid inside that over the years will leak out and onto the circuit board. The first trace that the acid leaks onto is one for the fuel pump relay (which causes the 'appearance' of a bad fuel pump relay). If your car still runs (even if it runs bad), the ECU 'might' still be able to be fixed; it depends on how much damage the acid has done. The reason these caps go bad (by leaking) is that Mitsubishi used cheap caps; and did not think these cars would be running strong after 10+ years.
In your description, you did not say whether your car was turbo or not; but that really doesn't matter as ALL Mitsubishi ECU's have this problem (from 89-94). In 95 Mitsubishi went to a more complex ECU-and these cars are not at the age where the caps are showing leakage.
What I have described can be seen at www.vfaq.com That web site was written by Tom Stangl (and others); and on it you will find very detailed pictures of what I have described above.
If you take your ECU out (it is located behind the radio) and open it up you will see the leakage of the caps (on the vfaq web site there are a few pictures). If you just want an ECU that has already had the caps replaced, I have a few of those available. If you want to get yours repaired, I can take care of that also. I could also 'rent' you a loaner ECU while yours is being repaired (if it is repairable).
Experience: 12 years of Mitsubishi VR4, Talon, Mirage, Laser, Eclipse., rebuild., refurb., modify. and scanning.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Thank you It is not a turbo and its called a mpi that the same thing I think May I have a loaner ecu or mpi while you fix mine or can I buy one from you and how much thank you so much I havent been able to use the car for week and I cant afford to have it fixed You are a life saver john