Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just picked up an old camaro with a KFC-8015 stereo but

Customer Question

I just picked up an old camaro with a KFC-8015 stereo but code is on screen
Don't have code old owner could not remember it what can I do?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 16 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your Chevy Camaro has a Kenwood KFC-8015 device, that is asking for a code.

An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature. The entering of an obscure code is required before one may use the radio or stereo etc. again.

Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:

- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.

- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure.

The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # of the device and according to the maker and model.)

I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand, and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo.

You may also try entering these common codes for Kenwood stereos:

KCAR

3051

and I hope you have the remote for the Kenwood stereo, because it may not be possible to enter it properly without the remote.

The Kenwood code is guaranteed to be 4 number or 4 digits, at least.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.