Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I hooked up my radio and subwoofers myself everythings been

Hi my names Tommy I hooked up my radio and subwoofers myself everythings been fine for 2 years I just decided to hook up my capacitor that came with my car wiring kit. Its 500,000 micro farad capacitor. I charged it by hooking up the negative wire to it and put the resistor to the positive side until it read 10.0 and stopped blinking then I continued to hook up the power cable to it to complete the charge. After I charged it and hooked everything up and hooked everything up to the amp I went to look at the amp and the standard 30amp fuse that the amp requires blew and stated to catch fire. What could be wrong?

Hi Tommy and welcome back to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the "...radio and subwoofers...amp......" as well as the "...capacitor...car wiring kit..."

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

The radio is Boss BV7330 radio and the amp is SSL Evo 1500.1 class A/B Monoblock. The wiring kit is 4 guage power wire and 6 guage ground wire with 500,000 micro farad capacitor...

Appreciate the additional information.

Was the voltage across the capacitor checked prior to connecting to the system? ...to the amp?

Wiring re-checked?

Still, possibilities are:

• over voltage from the capacitor (least likely);
  • charge of the internal capacitors of the amp rushed out to compensate/even the charge of the 500,000uF (likely);
  • charge of the 500,000uF capacitors rushed in to charge the internal capacitors of the amp (most likely).