umdterp13
umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Custom Installer / 12 Volt Tech
30812386

I am looking for a backup camera. I have a 2007 Ford

I am looking for a backup camera. I have a 2007 Ford Explorer and the view to the rear is horrible. I work on a large campus and I am always worried I am going to back into a car or a person. (I have already backed in a dumpster).
I had one but it died recently but the wiring is still there. (Farenheit - has red, green, & black wires connected to camera).
I am a senior on a fixed income so I want to spend the minimum but don't want to sacrifice quality.
Amazon has about 2000 listings and I have spent too much time and am thoroughly confused.
My preferences would be:
1. Wired if I can use the current wiring or a good wireless system.
2. I would like something I can install myself. I am somewhat handy but I don't think I want to get into too much car wiring.
3. I don't think I can budget more than $150.
4. An LCD/mirror mount might be nice since I already have several devices on my dash.
5. Night vision capable.
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Pete!

Ok, so the 2007 Explorer is not capable of taking additional video inputs such as the backup camera into its existing monitor.

There are other options that can integrate seamlessly with your vehicle - you can have your rear view mirror replaced with one of the 4 options below. It will use the factory ford bracket to integrate seamlessly:

http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/car-rear-view-mirror.html

These are a little bit over your budget, but they will give you the best integration.

Alternatively you could get a separate monitor that would be fitted to the windshield or the top of the dash.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm back Pete!
On the way here I didn't see a car behind me and almost backed into it! LOL

Ok, time to get that backup camera installed then!

Does my answer help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pete,
I appreciated your sincerity but to be honest it doesn't help especially since I couldn't afford your solution. From what I have seen there are good solutions within my budget but there are so many options and caveats it is mind-blowing.
I hope you don't take this personally but usually these devices are installed by car audio experts which is the area I requested. Could it be that even though you may be a brilliant computer engineer that a car audio expert might be more equipped to help me?

Hi, I am both a fully qualified electronics and computer engineer, and have installed many car audio, sensor and backup systems over the years.

I offered you the best possible solution and it is the one I would definitely recommend for best integration, but as you quite rightly point out there are many different solutions, and if your budget does not allow the best solution then you can go with a dash-mounted solution instead - it will be down to your personal preference on what extra features you want included, e.g. GPS, and screen size, etc.

Well, I have had overwhelmingly good luck with this particular site:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i249_rearview-backup-cameras.html

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the link! I will need a chance to peruse it and may have questions.
Also currently I have a Farenheit wide LCD. ( T-4200TZ) It seems to be working fine. Is there any chance I could just get a new camera? (I am a senior on a fixed income so any savings would be appreciated)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check for a comment on the question about the Farenheit LCD above. Please try to answer the question so I can give you a positive rating.

Technically yes, as those units can be spliced for lack of traditional fitting in the worst case, and even then I figure there are certainly video cables in regard to female/male connections and as such, should accept nearly any brand for 12v applications. How detailed can I tailor your response for further recommendation? Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you that's more helpful. I am capable of splicing wire certainly. However there are 3 cables: black, red, and green. Would you have any thoughts about which goes where.
Obviously one goes to the monitor (video), one would probably go to the brake lights circuit, what would the 3rd be for?

Most likely reverse trigger. Green is sometimes brake also, however red and black would be power and ground while the other wire will connect to your reverse light positive feed to send the signal to the monitor to display the signal automatically when in reverse.

umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician
Experience: Custom Installer / 12 Volt Tech