Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  over 30 years, ARA, Sony, Alpine, Audiovox, Kenwood, Muntz. Sales, Repair & Installation

I have a new PLCMPS48 backup camera and sensor kit. When I

Customer Question

I have a new PLCMPS48 backup camera and sensor kit. When I went to install it on my Ford F150, th wire harness was too short an d I have no place to mount computer without having it exposed to road dirt and waater. Looks like it was meant to go in a trunk. Do you have an extension kit?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I am having a professional Audio installer do the work, so lots of experience.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: om my computer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: the wires are too short.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Need an extension harness.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 12 days ago.

sorry for the delay...........
IF the Installer has any experience, he should be able to "make" a Extension for the Camera
Using RCA Cable
Besides the PLCMPS48 has 2 connectors
A YELLOW connector that is the Camera
A RED connector that is Positive + & Ground -
After pluging in the Harness to the Camera & running the Harness as far as he can, he should be able to connect a RCA Cable to the YELLOW Connector & Positive + & Ground - to the RED Connector.
For the Back Up Sensors, you can do the same
IF you do not want to add more wiring, I take mine & put the Sensor Box up under the Driver Rear Wheel Well Frame, after connecting & I enclose the Sensor Box in Plastic Baggies & wire tie it to the Frame.
Have installed over 100 of these & it works fine

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The video feed cable is not the problem... We have plenty of length and the connectors are very simple. It's the backup sensors that have a 75 ohm co-ax 'video' cable with a unique connector that is hard (impossible) to splice according to an electronics expert that we consulted. We have also looked at the 'baggie option' and decided that I would get about a year out of the box because all plastic degrades or allows moisture in given the harsh, wet environment that is subject to freeze/thaw and extreme heat. If I cannot find a longer co-ax with the right ends, I found a small, acrylic, sealed 'hard case' that I want to try mounting in the wheel well using a couple of stainless steel hose clamps screwed in place. Do you know where I can find a longer (15') 75 ohm co-ax cable? This company does not have ANY customer service (unless you know something that I do not.)

sorry if you do not agree..........
I have been installing for over 20 years & used the Plastic Bag for Ford Trucks since 2002 & have never had an issue.....
Of course this depends on the Plastic you use
I had one customer have me use a Plastic tuperware box that worked even better, but was not cost effective for us.
IF you want to extend the cables (not recommended), Try:
Let me know if you need further

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 10 days ago.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.