Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My clarion NX501A screen has malfunctioned and has coloured

Customer Question

my clarion NX501A screen has malfunctioned and has coloured lines spread across the screen and it has lost any touch screen ability , I pressed the reset button but to no avail , the unit is not quite 4 years old.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, I have to be honest here and say that coloured lines that spread across the screen like this, directly indicate a failed LCD screen. The same symptoms occur when a TV LCD screen fails, an E-reader screen fails, or even a cell phone screen fails. There isn't generally a pushbutton fix for this as the fault is internal to the screen itself. However, what I would suggest (at least as an attempt at a quick fix) is the following:

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

1) Press and hold that reset button for NO less than 10 seconds and release (simply pressing it in once and releasing does not enact a full reset).

2) If that does not work, then remove power from the unit completely (pull the harness out of the back of the deck) for 30 full minutes, and then reconnect. This drains all residual current from the unit and can also force a reset. However that is IF the screen itself has NOT failed.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

However if those steps do not work, then as indicated above, this IS indeed a failed LCD screen and the only solution is to replace the screen on the unit. This is a fairly delicate job, and not cost effective at a shop (generally exceeding over 2/3 of the cost of the Clarion when new), but if you'd like to do this yourself, then you can purchase the screen/digitizer at the link below for your model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLARION-NX-404-NX-501-VX-401-VX-404-OEM-GENUINE-LCD-SCREEN-/172343823063?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately your right , it's knackered, tried everything but to no avail. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry for the bad news here. Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.