Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have problems with two kenwood units, one dnn770 and

Customer Question

hello i have problems with two kenwood units
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: one dnn770 and dnn990
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: the 770 is in boot loop after an software update
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: and the 990 suddenly restart, always in the same location. Is like a gps problem
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 21 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the problems with those two Kenwood devices are completely unrelated.

The dnn770 has probably had its firmware update applied incompletely or irregularly. That can make a device suffer a complete failure-to-operate condition, or erratic but constant and persistent failure to work.

The dnn990, on the other hand, may have damaged firmware/software, and/or a severe and basic hardware/electronics failure. That is what usually makes a device restart over and over again repeatedly.

I would advise that you re-apply the software update to the first of these two... if you can.

And that you apply a software update or software refresh to the second one ... if you can.

Otherwise, they will need to go to a Kenwood factory service center for repairs. If it comes to this, please indicate your location (the indications are that you are in Argentina, but I cannot be sure of that yet.) With your location, I can tell you where and how to send the Kenwood devices for repairs.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
how can i re-apply teh software? or how can do a software update or refresh if i can get to the main menu screen on the dnn770?
The dnn 990 works good, but suddenly (always in the same places when i am driving my car) restart it. I thing something is wrong with the gps: I have tried with diferents maps, but it is the same problems.
Yes, I am in argentina. This is a big problems. Maybe if i need some spare parts you can send me to argentina and i can fix it.
I am installer.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i don´t know if you can call me, because i am in argentina. the phone number is +54(###) ###-####3773

At least the dnn990 can have a firmware update applied to it - properly and carefully. That might cure the problem, which is probably owing to a corruption of bad code, that gets executed at certain places.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Entiendo, segun decia la pagina que podia escribir en eapañol.
Al dnn 770 no le puedo correr una version nueva de software porque no termina de encender el equipo, queda siempre en la pantalla inicial de Kenwood. Pero lo que si pude hacer y segun lei en otros foros, fue tomar la tarjeta de memoria interna, y chequear que habia adentro.
Tal vez podrias enviarme por e-mail el software de la sd card interna del equipo, asi puedo grabar una nueva tarjeta de memoria.
Los archivos que tiene esta tarjeta adentro son:
<unitID.datEn algunos casos esta solucion funciono, y en otros casos tuvieron que cambiar la placa del equipo (X89-3140-10)Agradeceria si me podes enviar el software del interior de la placa por favor.Sobre el problema del dnn990 lei en varios casos que se debe a un error con el wifi. que al pasar por cierta zona de señal de wifi abierta el equipo se reinicia. Que una solucion es apagar el wifi del equipo.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry, i dont know if you speak spanish. I will try to explain in english.
I cant do a sftware update to the dnn 770 because it cant start, it still on the initial page from Kenwood.
I have read in others forums that it is possible to do create a new internal sd card with the software. But i dont have ths files.
I preciate if you can send me the internal sd card software by email.
The files i can find in the internal sd card was:
<unitID.datIn same cases it works, but in same cases must to change the internal main board (X89-3140-10)About the dnn 990, i have read in a lot of cases that the problem is about the wifi receiver. That maybe i go in same area qith open wifi signal and it makes the restart of the kenwood.
The problem can be solved turning the wifi receiber for the kenwood off.I hoppe you can understand me.Best regardDaniel
Expert:  Russell H. replied 20 days ago.

OK - thanks for the English Daniel.

You need SD card updating files for the dnn770 model.

And you need instructions for turning Off the WiFi feature on the dnn990.

Is that correct?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Forget the dnn990, I know how to do it.
I need the files so I can do a new internal sd card.
Can you send me it by mail?

I can post a link to the page with those files, I think, if those files are to be found.

This is the page with the updates for the Kenwood DNN770HD:

That page has a link to instructions on how to do the update, and what to do with the files:

If you have trouble understanding the English language instructions, I can provide translations - let me know if you need translations into another language (Spanish?) of those instructions.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can understand The instructions. I think you can't understand my English. Sorry about that. But I am trying to tell you that the dnn 770 doesn't start properly. It still in the initial kenwood screen.
This is the reason because I need to make a new internal sd card with a computer.

Well, maybe the update I pointed you to, can help. It is for an update to an SD card, though perhaps not internal to the Kenwood.

In case another Expert can help you better, I have Opted Out, opening the question to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
how can i do that ? how can i opening the qustions to another one? can you contact one for me? best regards

I will open the case, and have done so (by the time you read this), unless a system error occurs.

That will attract other Experts to the case, 'opening the case to other Experts'.