GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

We own a Nextar Q4-01 that we purchased in 2008. We need to

Customer Question

We own a Nextar Q4-01 that we purchased in 2008. We need to update it. How do we do that?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Nextar Q4-01, purchased in 2008
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We haven't been able to update the maps. It keeps using old information.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. We just need the new maps so the directions are correct.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  GeekGal replied 28 days ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'d be happy to help you with this. At one point map updates were available from but that domain appears to no longer have anything to do with Nextar GPS. I can only guess that they may no longer be supporting the device. Fortunately though, you can also update the maps using a dvd if you can find one for sale (perhaps on eBay or Amazon). Please give me just a few moments to search to see if I can locate one for you.

I have attached a copy of the user manual for the Nextar Q4-01 that will walk you through installing updates from a dvd. I must warn you that if you do a google search for map updates for your device you will find quite a few that are UNVERIFIED. I can't recommend these as they may very likely be unsafe. Please do not attempt to use those unless you have an EXCELLENT security system on your PC. Otherwise you may wind up with malware, spyware, or a virus.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 28 days ago.

Here's a link to an article describing which is supposed to have map updates for Nextar Gps units. I can't swear that they have what you need as i woudl have to register with an account to check but there is a good possibility that they do. Please give that a try and let me know the results.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 28 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.