Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Can you run a wire to the fuses instead of going to the head

Customer Question

can you run a wire to the fuses instead of going to the head unit when hooking up a amplifier
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the amplifier and the headunit.

Still, the requirement of "...power to the amplifier...wire to the fuses instead of going to the head unit..." would be possible:

• AMP's GND to the car's chassis, frame or any metal part of the vehicle;
  • AMP's +12V to fuse/wire that carries an always available +12V and directly tied to the battery's + terminal; and
  • AMP's REM terminal wired to the ACC terminal of the ignition switch. With this wiring, the amplifier would turn on soon as the key is switch to ACC/On.

Of course, the prescribed wiring is for the AMP's REM terminal to be connected to the headunit's blue wire (depending on the model) or its remote trigger wire.