stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I just installed a pioneer AVH X 3700 BHS it turns on and

Customer Question

I just installed a pioneer AVH X 3700 BHS it turns on and there is sound coming out of the speaker leads but I'm not using them how do I turn on the preamp outputs
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 3 months ago.

They should be on by default, although they are usually capable of being adjusted. Is it a factory amp where an interface is required, or an aftermarket ignition triggered one?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I'm an idiot.i was originally using a lc7i with factory h/u.since i disconnected it i needed to connect remote to h/u no amp no sound lol.And yes I'm using an access interface and a swci.

Hot mess, so where we are with the setup is a Pioneer and factory components? Which have been accommodated for with steering wheel control and the proper harness; and the lc7i is no longer in play? I can see how there are cables that were formerly the units output you want plugged into the back of the new head unit, and from there the blue remote trigger accordingly. Have you adjusted the levels on the amplifier because I don't see any other issue with output. My concern is whether there are any from the RCA connection, as you mentioned. From there, where do they go?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I'm all set.when I eliminated the lc7ithere was no longer a signal to trigger remote on I now have remote hooked to h/u.also not factory components all infinity reference coax and kappa subs
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But for some reason I get distortion from one front speaker when base hits.i have hp filters on h/u all the up to 200 hz 24 dB slope and hp on amp at about120hz.but shut off sub and it's sounds great.o don't know if signal in is making it from sub channel to front channel in amp somehow . technically two amps a 4 channel a/b am and a class d mono amp sharing a heat sink.and I presume power supply.

Trying to figure out why you have the sub channel on the amp to what is made to sound like the 4 channel for your speakers. Might there be a better way to phrase that? Baseline settings are nearly all I ever take into consideration, so maxing anything out would definitely cause distortion. Whether or not your high pass filters override each other wouldn't exactly be my concern, I doubt its an excursion factor if that's what you want to hear. Missing frequencies might be the issue unless you can tell about the speaker working incorrectly however if you don't know what to listen for you can feel it on that level, highs are more a dead giveaway. What is missing that is worth your time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know what you're talking about it's a 5 channel amp with six inputs 2 front 2 rear 2 Sub. When the sub channel is off the for coax speakers sound fine. I turn on the sub and I can hear a little bit of distortion coming from some of the coax speakers corresponds with the Bass from the sub.

Oh, well that makes a difference, how did you tune the amp? There I would reconsider the input of the headunit and procedure you tried for setting the speaker levels.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't have a distortion detector.i used a multimeter.if any thing they're a little underpowered. I set coax speakers at 10voltsvolts which should be around 42watts at 2.4 ohms 2 ohm speakers.and set subs at 40 volts which should be about 700 watts at 2.3ohms.thats impede nice including wire.Coax speakers rated 60 watts rms and subs rated 350 each.Dont see what that would matter.
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 2 months ago.

So the problem has been conveyed as merely a speaker popping? I was working toward the missing sound, and yet this began with a preamp scenario. What would you like me to focus on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible I just have hp crossovers set to low.I would think 100 Hz would be good since my subs are set at 100 Hz . wouldn't lose any frequencies.subs are in a sealed enclosure.should i turn up hp filters then turn up LP to match.I can turn bass boost on h/u up crank volume and boost input signal 4 dB and the still sound good and hit pretty clean lows.Then turn sub on and hi mids I'd say sound a little scratchy and a little distortion with bass from coax speakers.So i dont think it's a issue with speakers.also i have 470 microfarad caps in line as another 100hz filter.

OK on a serious note there are times when the hardware itself malfunctions. I can at least mention that there exists warranty service, and a shop would likely be a good conduit. Reason being they have established relationships with manufacturers if it is in fact a defect; I have seen peculiar things happen to the point stations change over speed bumps.