stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.

I have a Kenwood connected navigation system DNN991HD. I

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood connected navigation system DNN991HD. I bought the vehicle it is in pre-owned. I'm needing to reset the unit to restore factory settings to put in my info. (The previous owners info in in the system & is password ***** The dealer contacted him but he doesn't remember his password)
When I push the "reset" button like the manual states, it doesn't do anything. Can you help me with this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the Kenwood device (and thank you for identifying the model #, that can be a great help...) prompting for a password ***** passcode, and doing and allowing nothing else?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

It persists in prompting for a passcode, even after you press and hold down the RESET button for over 15 seconds continuously? try that.

If it still does after that, then try entering

and then if that fails

and let me know, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tired all options. Reset button did nothing. Tried both 0000 & 00000 and received this message: password ***** ***** correct or service is not connected.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been using the guest user acct for months. Today it won't sign in to anything.

OK, thanks for the info.

I think the error, despite mentioning 'service' refers mostly to the wrong passcode.

To be tried also:

and see if any of them work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, brb
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other ideas?

I'm sorry to hear that.

If the RESET button produces nothing, if the passcode prompt is always here regardless, if the default pass-codes don't work... let me research this for a minute or three...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you

If you haven't tried this:

- press the RESET button.

- turn the device OFF after waiting for the count of at least 10 seconds.

- leave it OFF for at least 5 minutes or so.

- turn it On again ... do you get the Initial Setup screen, this way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, same log in screen came up.

Can you log in as GUEST, with any of the default passwords I have already had you try?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No that did not work either

Try GUEST only don't enter any password ***** does that work at least?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is what comes up on guest. It won't do anything else

Have you tapped on the OK in that screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does nothing. Frustrating, huh?

Well, no. That stands to reason if the Administrator and Guest passwords have been set, rather than being in the default (no-password) status.

I'm sorry to say there is no procedure for clearing the passwords or a reset of them, aside from what you have already tried.

An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature.

Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:

- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.

- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure.

The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # of the device and according to the maker and model.)

I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand, and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo.

I have Opted Out also, opening the case to any other Expert here that might have a better answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do I just wait to see if someone else replies to my question?