Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a proton precve car and I want to update the maps for

Customer Question

i have a proton precve car and I want to update the maps for this , can you help
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: it works fine I just want to update the maps .
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i haven't , i just want to get to the site where i can download these , the unit is a blaupunkt sat nav
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you point me to the site where i can upload the maps for my sat nav which is a blaupunkt
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Some models of Proton Preve have a Garmin GPS with the Blaupunkt HU device. So what you would need in that case, is a Garmin map update.

This should be a Blaupunkt HU with a micro-SD card slot in it.

You do a map file manipulation after obtaining the map file, on a PC-type computer.

The way it all goes in point of detail is:

1 - go to and sign up there, then obtain a Garmin map update for the Blaupunkt there.

2 - download a Gamin map update there, execute it according to their instructions, then

3 - file "gmapsupp.img" will be created in the "c:\Garmin\Malfreemaps" folder. Copy that file into your microSD card, into the "Garmin" folder on it.

4 - rename the 2 existing files "gmapprom.img" and gmapprom1.img" on the MicroSD card to "gmapprom.old" and "gmapprom1.old". Rename the copied file "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img".

5 - put the microSD card into the Blaupunkt HU's card slot, and turn On the Garmin GPS function, so that it will update from the microSD card.