stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I have a Lowrance HD8 gps unit. When I turn it on in goes

Customer Question

I have a Lowrance HD8 gps unit. When I turn it on in goes into continuous search mode and none of the controls work and the only way I can shut it off is to kill the power nothing works. Can you advise me as to what the likely problem is?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is likely that, if it is searching for a satellite signal, that it either

1. is shielded from satellite reception by metal in walls or roof, and needs be taken outside to within open view of an open sky, or

2. it is defective in its reception antenna or circuitry. An external antenna could be tried, though I doubt that will solve the problem.

Which of these do you think is the problem?