Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

How do i get a unlock code for my 1998 honda civic kenwood

Customer Question

How do i get a unlock code for my 1998 honda civic kenwood factory stereo! Bought car 2nd hand, and the last owner could not find the code, as the battery was dead it was renewed when i bought it, this is when it locked and we discovered she had lost the code! Can you please help. Thanks. Brett
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature. The entering of an obscure code is required before one may use the radio or stereo etc. again.

Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:

- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.

- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure.

The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # of the device and according to the maker and model.)

I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand (of car), and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo. (The alternative is to remove the stereo, and pack it up and ship it to a Kenwood factory depot and have them generate the code and return it to you, possibly unlocked.)