Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  over 30 years, ARA, Sony, Alpine, Audiovox, Kenwood, Muntz. Sales, Repair & Installation
1609972

I have a 2001 Nissan altima and when I put an aftermarket

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan altima and when I put an aftermarket radio in it. The dash lights don't work. If I connect the red/yellow wire to the constant the dash lights stay on all the time and the same thing happens to the accessory wire. Can you please help me?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 months ago.

Brand & Model Number of New Radio?
Did you use a Wiring Adapter?
if so, Brand & Model / Part Number?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the radio working but the it's a Pyle plr34m model # and there is no factory wiring harness from the car. There wasn't one when I bought the car. And what fuses should I check under the dash and under the hood. The radio fuse is good under the dash.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did buy a aftermarket harness from eBay that is for the car and goes to another harness but nothing's marked.

sorry for the delay............
Was the Factory Plug cut off & you hardwired the Pyle to the existing cut wires?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But I can't figure out what to wire the Illumination wire and dinner wiring to from the car. When I wire it to the constant hot from the car and radio the dash lights stay on all the time. And the same thing happens when I wire it to the accessory wire fe9m the car and radio

are you sure of the Model Number, as I do not show any Illumination or Dial Light wire connection for the Pyle plr34m??
.
Manual Link :http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLR34M/In-Dash-AMFM-MPX-Receiver-With-MP3-Playback-and-USBSDAux-Inputs

.

So if the Pyle does NOT have Dial Light connection, are you questioning why your Dash Lights no longer work?
IF so, you should have a RED / GREEN & a RED / YELLOW wire in the Factory Harness.
They use these 2 wires to light the Radio Bulb

Have you tried connecting them together?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it doesn't work. I've even tried to wore both those wires and then to the two power wires in the car and radio

DO NOT connect any Power / Voltage to those wires......
Check Fuse "34" for Voltage + on "both sides"
IF there is Voltage + & you do NOT have Dash Lights, then the Dash Light Control is burned out & needs replaced
The RED / GREEN & a RED / YELLOW wire in the Factory Harness are a "thru circuit" (thru the Dash Light) & if Power / Voltage + was connected to either, the Dash Light Control cannot handle the "back" Voltage

hello?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK so do I connect those two wires. The ones from the car to each other? And what do I do to change the dash light switch.

RED / GREEN & a RED / YELLOW wires are connected together & taped up
I have not replaced one myself, as I have not had that problem.......but to get to the Dimmer Switch, you need to remove the Screws that is holding the Lower Dash Panel, below the Steering Column
Then I believe the Switch snaps out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I will try it tomorrow. If I have a question I can ask then.

.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.