Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ years

MY dash cam stopped working.

Customer Question

MY dash cam stopped working.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

4) Can you explain a bit more about the "power cable" issue or other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a HYPE dash cam LCD FLIP SCREEN Is's about 2 months old. I had problem with the power cable from the beging I had to jigle it to get it to work.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - I believe there are a couple of different sub-models of the HYPE dash cam, but let me ask a few specific questions:

1) Did the camera comes with TWO cables (1 for computer connection and 1 for the car)?

2) Does the CAR power cable have a "USB" connector on the camera end (and not a "barrel" style connector)?

3) Does the camera have a battery - that has to be charged up?

4) WHERE was the dash cam purchased from?

I ask these questions so that we can determine if the camera has any kind of warranty and can be returned, if you can get a replacement car cable / power adapter, or if it would be better to try and "repair" the cable connection (if barrel type).

I mention this cable repair because I have tested MANY of these units, and I must say that the car power adapter cables and connectors are "not the best quality" and tend to fail rather easily.

If the car cable has the USB type connector, another alternative to make it work more reliably is to get a USB adapter - that plugs into the car's power socket, and a LONG USB cable to that plugs into the camera.

Please let me know what you have there so we can discuss what might be the best alternative to have a working dash cam.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-