Car Audio Rusty
Car Audio Rusty, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Powering, fusing, wiring, and general installation

I am installing an amp in my boat. All is good, I just 't

Customer Question

Hi -
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I am installing an amp in my boat. All is good, I just don't know what to do with the rca cables. I have 6 ports on my amp and 5 ports on my stereo unit. 4 of the ports (on each) are for speakers and 2 are for "sw". How should I hook them up?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I meant 6 ports on my stereo unit, also.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I don't know which ports to use.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That will do it. Thanks
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Please postback with the full brand and model number of both the stereo and the amplifier.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kenwood stereo and JBL amp. I do not know the full model number. I really thought this was an easy question. If you use rca cables to connect a stereo unit to an amp, then which ports do you use? The 4 speaker ports? the 2 "sw" ports? I just don't know.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

They're not all the same. Without the model numbers I can't look up specifics. I will opt out.

Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** give me the model number of your stereo. I need to look at the back. If it only has speaker outs, please let me know.

You don't want to connect speaker outs to your amp. You'll need a speaker to line converter so you don't burn up your amp with the speaker level outputs. Click here. You'll want to connect your front L and R speaker outputs to it, and then use the RCA to connect to your amp.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
O.K. - Got the paperwork.
Kenwood KMRM315BT Stereo
JBL MA6004 Amp
Hope this helps.Thanks,Ken

Perfect! That's just RCA cables, no converter is needed. Connect the front outputs from your deck to the front inputs on your amp. Then you will use your front L/R speaker outputs to your speakers.