stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

My viper 5900 car alarm won't start the car it will lock

Customer Question

My viper 5900 car alarm won't start the car it will lock unclock no prob with the remote but no remote start it will turn on the car two time trying to start but will not crack just turns on lights on the dash the car is a Infiniti m35 2006
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did it work to start the car, formerly?

(I presume your car is still starting with the key?)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is

Have you tried re-programming the remote to the Viper main unit in your car?

That might get its starter function working too. If the Viper main unit were either damaged or 'broken' or else in an inhibited state as far as remote starting were concerned, then you wouldn't be able to start the car with your key either. So the Viper is saying OK to starting... just not responding to remote starting requests. Which hints that either the 'START' button on the remote has gone bad, or the remote is just not interfacing as far as the Start-Engine signal is concerned.

Is there any possibility that the 'START' button on the remote has been dirtied or damaged? if the car never responds to it, even when you have gone through the program-remote-to-interface-with-Viper routine again, then that is to be suspected, and replacing the remote with one that will work with your Viper alarm's main unit, is the probable fix for the situation.

What do you think? esp. about the START button on the remote being dead/damaged/dirtied etc. ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its programmed allready it opens and unlocks the doors but no start / crank it just turns the dash lights on like its about to start than shuts off after two tries

To be sure it is not the central alarm module that is at fault, put the Viper alarm into Valet mode, using the switch on the Viper module (which will most likely be found under the lower edge of the dashboard, possibly on the driver's side.) The Valet mode switch needs to be pressed, or flipped (if a toggle switch) briefly, to turn on Valet mode.

Then (once the car flashes lights to signify it is in Valet mode) try the remote start again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i spoke to someone from viper i have an appointment friday the bypass needs to be reprogrammed for it to work

So reprogramming is the answer, it seems. I did recommend that earlier.

Do you need any further advice or assistance with this case?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
has nothing to do with the programing of the romote that was done right the bypass is the unit that lets the alarm start the car without the key fob this is a push to start car thank you though.

You're welcome. And, thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com.

I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.