Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have Kenwood Excelon DDX6902S I have checked all

Customer Question

I have Kenwood Excelon DDX6902S I have checked all connections and bought wiring harnesses and radio from crutch field. I have no sound good signal but volume all the way up and I can barely hear any sound
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

What's the Year, Make and Model of the vehicle it's installed in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2010 ford f250 super duty
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Check both FM and the CD player. Do both have barely any sound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have check both with the same results
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

How did you go about making connections butt connectors, solder and heat shrink, twist and tape?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Solder and heat shrink
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Did the stock stereo have AM/FM only, AM/FM with SYNC, AM/FM/CD, AM/FM/CD with SYNC?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am/fm/cd no sync
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Have you pressed and held the red arrow on the upper left corner of the Kenwood for 7 seconds and released to reset the receiver?

Also were all of the speakers working fine with the previous receiver?

It sounds like there is a shorted speaker wire which is indeed something that would cause these symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All speakers worked fine and yes I tried factory reset
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi Joe and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to check the speakers through the speaker wires as connected to the Kenwood:

• white & white/black;
  • gray & gray/black;
  • green & green/black;
  • purple & purple/black.

A multi-meter set to its Ω function is preferably used to test the speaker impedance.

The idea is to confirm that indeed that the F250's speakers are wired directly to the newly installed Kenwood and not through an external amplifier.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How would I know whether it's going through factory amp or not
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I jump from radio directly to speaker. Speaker works fine so what I would assume that Crutchfield sent me the wrong wiring harness
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Either that; "...wrong wiring harness..."

the F250 has originally a premium sound system with a built-in amplifier depending on the option and/or sub-model & body type.

If so, then possibly amp is not being turned ON by the Kenwood and/or the amp is not being fed by the Kenwood audio signals and would need an harness similar to the item shown HERE.

In most installations, the factory/premium amp is simply bypassed and the speakers directly powered by the new/aftermarket headunit either with a harness adapter something like the product shown HERE.

as you have already tried; "...jump from radio directly to speaker..."