Car Audio Rusty
Car Audio Rusty, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Powering, fusing, wiring, and general installation

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with an enclosure

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with an enclosure under backs seats. I have two 12 " Kenwood sub woofers 2000W Single 4-Ohm Car Audio Subwoofers
RMS Power Handling : 400 Watts (800 Watts Per Pair)
Peak Power Handling : 2,000 Watts (4000 Watts Per Pair), and an Autotek Mma2000.2 The Mean Machine[r] 2-channel Class Ab Amp [2,000 Watts], Class AB Bridgeable Pro-Fi(TM) high-speed MOSFET circuit High- & low-voltage input for OEM integration Variable input voltages Low-noise preamp Low-level RCA inputs & outputs 2- & 3-channel operation mode Built-in variable electronic crossover (HP & LP) Onboard bass boost 4-gauge power/ground 2,000W max 500W RMS x 2 @ 4ohm 1,000W RMS x 2 @ 2ohm. Which wiring connection would you use for the most bass without distortion or harm to the amp or speakers.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, I can help you. It looks like you have the perfect pair. Your amp and speakers match. When dealing with audio, it's important to get close to the numbers, but listen for distortion. The difference between 400 watts and 500 watts isn't much... It takes 10 times the wattage to make a speaker twice as loud. You won't want to turn up your deck past 80% volume with this connection.

Connect each speaker up to its own channel on the amp. As long as you stay below 80% volume on your deck, you won't have a problem. If it sounds distorted, which wouldn't meet the math, please let me know. Otherwise, your system is good to go.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, then I think I need something more. I can't get it to the quake level I want without hearing it distort. But, the one thing I have yet to do is connect the system to a cd player with a dedicated sub-woofer rca output, that way isolating the woofers to see is=f it the woofers distorting or the factory Infinity speakers.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The box only allows .65 square feet of air space per speaker too. Could I remove one speaker and bridge only one woofer for the whole box and add another box somewhere?

A crossover is what you're talking about, and yes, that will take the mud out of the sound. Set it between 80 and 110 hz to get the best subwoofer sound.

As far as the speakers go, that box seems a bit small. If you remove one sub, that will leave a hole, and you can't have that either, otherwise the box won't work properly. Is it ported? The depth of the port is also important. 4 inches will pump out loud bass, but remember, the rest of the box must be sealed. Ports add air space, so you can keep the same box. If you have a 6' port, there will be more resistance on the speaker and it won't rumble like it should.

Don't bridge the amp if you go with two boxes, you'll definitely blow the speaker. The wattage is matched for the speaker, so run one channel to one box, and the other channel to the second box.