Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I've got a Kenwood Digital Media Reciever KMM-BT315U. When

Customer Question

I've got a Kenwood Digital Media Reciever KMM-BT315U. When it's wired up, I shut the ignition off, it's not holding memory. Why is this happening?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If it's not holding memory then your Yellow wire (memory wire on the radio) is not connected to the battery and is instead connected to the switched ignition wire. This is the only thing that causes this. If you're insure what wiring you're interfacing then use a multi-meter and find the CONSTANT power wire in the car so you know which one remains ON/LIVE even when the ignition is shut off. Of, run a new length of wire right to the battery with a small fuse near the positive terminal (10 amps is fine). This ensures your memory is retained when you shut the car off. On an aftermarket stereo the wiring is as follows for power:

Yellow= Battery/CONST

Red= Switched/IGN

Black= Chassis/GND

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance here?