Thomas Tullo
Thomas Tullo, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Owner at Auto Options
75484377

Installed a Kenwood DDX 392 ,along with (2) sets of Alpine

Customer Question

Installed a Kenwood DDX 392 ,along with (2) sets of Alpine SPS 610C component speakers in my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS with On Star.Had all speaker channels working for (2) weeks now only the right front speaker channel is working.Checked all the speakers and they are good.Could the PAC device be defective?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, First- does your vehicle use a factory amp (if unsure then which sound system was stock)?

Secondly, which PAC integration device did you use please (model number if available)?

Additionally, while this is not likely the cause of the issue- have you tried pressing and holding the reset button on the Kenwood deck for 7 seconds and releasing to see if that helps?

Please reply back with the details requested above and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Aric,
This Trail Blazer is an LS and to my knowledge doesn't have the Bose system. Using the power from the Kenwood DDX 392.Don't know what PAC unit is in the car. I will advise on that.
Just a Note: This is the second Kenwood unit i've had in the vehicle, as i,ve owned this vehicle for (12) years.Have not tried to reset the unit. Where is the reset button on the DDX 392?Thanks,
Craig
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Please click the link below and scroll to page 3- bottom right corner of the page shows how to reset your model:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20141111154600/Manuals/113/113DDX492.PDF

Regarding the PAC adapter- if it's a simple "wire to wire" plug in harness (meaning there's no active circuitry in the adapter), then it is not a likely cause of this problem. Hard wire connections don't usually fail once they are connected securely. However, that said- what method of connections did you use- were they spliced, and if so were they soldered and taped, crimp connectors used, twist on wire connectors used?

Another thing to check once the above have been checked, is that there are no bare strands of speaker wires touching the metal frame of the vehicle anywhere. I've had clients where the door jam was pinching a wire and eventually broke through the insulation which caused an intermittent short. The Kenwood sensing a short at it's speaker output jacks can mute some of or all of the channels.

Once you have a chance to check those things please reply back.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Aric. I'll advise in a couple of days. I own a Automotive repair/restoration shop, so make money 1st and play second.Thanks for the advice.Craig Cook
E-N-I Motorsports,LLC
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. I totally understand, I build vacuum tube audio gear and install AV systems in homes for a living, my system always gets put at the end of the list. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Aric,
Regarding the PAC unit, i know it has an active circuit for the On Star and it been in the truck for at least (6) years. Was installed with the first Kenwood unit
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay the On Star doesn't tie into the amplification/Speaker system in any way so far as I know ( a specific part number would allow me to look that up). So I would first try resetting the deck, then pull the deck and try a local connection of each speaker ONE at a time with the unit in your lap. Rule out shorted wires and any other connections in the mix by doing this. This divides and conquers the problem. If the issue is there with a local speaker connected right to the rear of the deck with a short piece of wire- then you know the Kenwood itself is at fault.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

FEEL FREE to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please DO rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll get back in touch with you on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.Thanks,
Craig Cook
E-N-I Motorsports,LLC
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Craig sounds good. So that I know you have intentions of crediting me for my time. please click a positive rating and I will continue with you whenever you reply.

Expert:  Thomas Tullo replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is Tom

I see the other tech opted out do you still need help, if so i will get you going just let me know