Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I just installed a pioneer deh-x4600bt in an 89 Jeep

Customer Question

I just installed a pioneer deh-x4600bt in an 89 Jeep Wrangler. Everything worked fine until I started the Jeep. Now I get no sound. Didn't touch anything, just started the car and no sound. Unit powers up fine, but no sound.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Uh, hi?

Thanks for replying back to me! You were offline when I had responded earlier.

There is likely a fault somewhere in the wiring.

Check the chassis ground connections to ensure the head unit is properly grounded.

Check for any shorts in the speaker wiring.

Measure the resistance and voltage in the speaker wiring at the speaker ends and let me know what you find...

Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm getting 6.8 ohms at the speakers but only coming up with .07 volts. Unit powers up fine, but nothing at the speakers
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, are the speakers directly connected to the Pioneer DEH-X4600BT? ...or is there an external/add-on amplifier?

If none and speakers directly connected to the Pioneer, then review (if have not been done):

• • yellow wire is connected to an always available +12 source such as the battery + terminal;
  • • red wire to a switched +12 source such as the ACC terminal of the ignition switch;
  • • black wire is tied to a metal frame, bracket or support and not only to the harness ground line.

Should the above check good, then it would be necessary to bench test the DEH-X4600BT.

If yes and there is an external/add-on amplifier powering the speakers, then proposed checks/tries (again if have not been done):

• • Amp's B+ terminal is connected to an always available +12 source such as the battery + terminal;
  • • with its remote terminal connected to the Pioneer's blue/white wire;
  • • while the GND is tied to a metal frame, bracket or support and not only to the harness ground line.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no external amp. All wires are connected correctly. How do I bench test the unit? Thanks for your reply
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

With the unit pulled out, temporarily twist the red & yellow wires together and connect to a spare 12V battery's + terminal or to a regulated power supply while the black wire to the -/GND terminal.

A single speaker may be used to connect/test each speaker wire pairs / 1 pair a a time; Gray & Gray/Black, White & White/Black, Violet & Violet/Black and Green & Green/Black.

Ensure that no loose/exposed wire may inadvertently touch any other wire or even the Pioneer's body.