Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Three days ago my car radio stopped working, it would not

Customer Question

Three days ago my car radio stopped working, it would not turn on at all. A day later it started to make a very loud strange noise when I turn the car on. It is like popping bass noise. I tried to lower the volume but I don't have control of the radio since it won't turn on. I decided not to drive the car because it was way too loud and it sounded like static. What should I do?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Maria and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the car radio.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check/remove the car radio fuse at the back in most models;
  • • check the wiring / harness if accessible.

All others would require removal, bench test and the use of a volt/multi-meter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have the car with me to give you the model number but it is the original radio in a Mazda 3 GT, 2010. Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information Maria.

The only easy user doable try then for a 2010 Mazda 3 would be to check under the passenger seat for the presence of an amplifier if installed. If yes, then check that the connector is correctly plugged in. Likewise, inspect the wiring particularly the speaker wires; White/Yellow & Blue/Green, Red/Blue & Red/White, White/Light Green & Pink/Brown, Light Blue/Brown & Light Green/Light Blue as well as the other wires; brown, light blue and black.

As posted above, all others would require removal of the car radio and amplifier (if installed) for bench test and the use of a volt/multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last question. Is it ok to drive the car while making that noise? I am afraid I will ruin something if I drive it
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Yes; other than the sound distraction / noise, the car would still serve its purpose.

You can also try disconnecting the connector of the amp (if present) disabling the speakers and stopping the noise (even if temporarily).

The worst that can happen would be the amp (and / or the car radio) failing BUT, a fault is already being exhibited.