Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I was wondering if you still are helping people with there

Customer Question

I was wondering if you still are helping people with there navigational problems? I have a 2010 ford expedition that the GPS is X out. I have tried the master reset, disconnected the battery for 20 min. I have done this several times but it is not helping.Everything worked fine on this system and then I changed out the battery and then I noticed that the clock was not working and you could not do any settings on it because it was blocked out. I then found out that the GPS was not working.I found this when I did a test on the system by pushing the 3 and 6 button on the radio.UO15500: Lost communications with the IPC
UO16200: Lost communications with NAV display moduleWhen I checked for satilites there were none and I was out in the open.I am not sure, but do the NAV antennas go out on these radios?If you have any ideas that would be great.Thanks,David Russo
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Is there one specifically for the Nav system. I found about four that relate to the radio and they were all good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read my post
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the problem set in when you disconnected the battery, then it may be that you activated an anti-theft mechanism commonly found in automotive stereo equipment.

Is the system asking for a code, or providing a space on the screen to enter a code number?

An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature. The entering of an obscure code is required before one may use the radio or stereo etc. again.

Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:

- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.

- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure.

The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # ***** the device and according to the maker and model.)

I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand (the car, not the GPS), and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not asking for a code for the radio. The radio works fine everything about the radio works fine. The navigation system does not work. The clock does not work. My understanding is that the clock is tied to the navigation system which has say X through the navigation GPS symbol when you go to maps.
This all happened right after I installed a brand-new battery. So what I'm trying to correct is the GPS system. My email above states codes that I found and what I have done to try to get the navigational system to work again. None of that has worked. So I am looking for anything else that I can try to get the navigational system to work again or if this is something you've seen before and what was the solution.

I see... I'm sorry if I misunderstood the situation.

Looking at it in more detail: the message about "UO15500: Lost communications with the IPC" refers to the Instrument Panel Cluster.

That message means that CAN communications signal has been lost from the 'combination meter' (a term I've never heard before, I admit). The usual diagnosis is a defective broken or unplugged connection to the combination meter, or the combination meter itself being defective.

Check your wiring! is what that boils down to... or a repair job.

Then, the message "UO16200: Lost communications with NAV display module"

means, well, that the NAV module isn't talking to other circuitry, pretty much.

Which might mean, a repair job for the electronics. One case, without any good result that I know of, recommended disconnecting the negative battery pole for 3 minutes, to reboot the system, then reconnecting the negative battery pole. And seeing how the system goes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have disconnected the negative cable the first go around. Along with disconnecting the negative battery cable I have also placed a jumper to the positive which is supposed to drain all of the internal components solenoids and so on.
I then talked with ford in their customer service department which didn't help out either and they suggested removing both cables for a period of time which I did do this has not helped at all ,so my last hope and Choice was contacting you guys to see what kind of problems you ran into with this type of situation so I'm hoping that you'll be able to find other situations like this. my only thought was something to do with the antennas since when I did my original test and got into the diagnostic mode which was by pushing the number three and the number six button at the same time on the radio it showed that there was no satellites at all so I assumed it was something to do with an antenna but my main reason for contacting you was to get specifics on what to check out and that was what my goal is.

Again: check wiring to/from the Nav module. The wiring harness to the instrument panel cluster may be disconnected or damaged. That's what one error message indicated.

And your Nav component may be damaged, unfortunately, perhaps by a static discharge when the battery was reconnected the first time.