Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

PIN number VW Jetta car radio is the PIN number radio the

Customer Question

PIN number for a VW Jetta car radio is the PIN number for original radio the same pin to install a replacement radio?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The code number for the new radio would not be the same as the one for the old radio... though you can try it.

An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature. The entering of an obscure code is required before one may use the radio or stereo etc. again.

Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:

- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.

- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure.

The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # ***** the device and according to the maker and model.)

I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand of car, and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much for the info, I was afraid of that guess the dealer is the answer.
Thank you...

These sort of anti-theft technologies involve a certain inconvenience to the common, and after all fairly honest and well-intended, user of the technology.

So I understand that the answer is disappointing, though I think it is the true answer based on the facts.

If you want a chance at a second opinion, at no extra charge, I will Opt Out and open the case to the contributions of other Experts here, in case one of them *might* have a different and more pleasant means of addressing the problem. Just let me know if you'd wish to wait a bit longer on the chance of a genuinely more usable opinion.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck with it.)