Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a Lowrance X105cdf depth finder and my detail guy cut

Customer Question

I have a Lowrance X105cdf depth finder and my detail guy cut the cable leading to my speed and temperature sensor so, i was at a cabals store the other day and found a SP-U speed sensor (99-76) now my old cable has three wires- BLUE, ORANGE, & YELLOW with no shield wire But, the new speed sensor has 4 wires - BLACK & BLUE paired up and YELLOW & WHITE paired up with a shield wire . So my question is will this work and if so how will i connect the wires?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What device do you wish to connect the SP-U speed sensor (99-76) up to? I'm not quite clear on that.

The listed compatibility of the SP-U 99-76 speed sensor, according to one eBay listing, is with

FishEasy2 (black conn), FishEasy 240, FishEasy 320C, FishMark 320,

FishMark 500C, FishStrike 1000C, FishStrike 2000C, SeaChamp 1000C DF, SeaChamp

2000C DF, SeaCharter 500C DF, SeaFinder 320DF, SeaFinder 480DF, SeaFinder 500C.

I think the question should not be about wire colors. It should be about the plug the speed sensor has on it if you *don't* cut the wire, and just use it in its undamaged state.

Were you thinking of just splicing to the cut wire ends? leading to your device... rather than running the uncut cable from the speed sensor to the device (whatever it is) that you want it to work with? If so, I would advise that a custom-spliced formerly-cut connection will give you problems, period, even if it works for once and a way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have no choice but to cut the wire, the X105cdf is no longer available. I could purchase a new transducer/speed sensor but as I mentioned the unit obsolete so, I'm left with finding somethingelse which is what I'm attempting to hook the API speed sensor to my x105cdf depth finder. Will this work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
SP-U sensor not API autocorrect

How do you mean the X105cdf is no longer available and that makes it necessary to cut the wire from the SP-U ? I still don't understand that part, and to give you a good answer, I will have to comprehend the situation - sorry if I seem obtuse, but remember, I'm not there in-person.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, I went to Cabals to look for a replacement for my speed sensor which the cable was cut right at the sensor which made it unrepairable, (the rep) informed me that that was an older model and said I would be lucky to find parts for that unit the "Lowrance (X105 cdf)" and to look in the discount section so, with that being said I went to the discount section of the store and just happened to find the SP-U speed sensor there which looks exactly like the one I have in every way for $15.00 so, I purchased it, figured I couldn't go wrong for $15.00. I'm and electrician by trade so I do understand wiring so I looked everywhere for a schematic and didn't find one then I found a web site stating "ask a Lowrance Technician" a question and here I am asking can this work????

What connector does the SP-U have on it, without cutting it?

And is the cable on the SP-U, that leads to that connector/plug, long enough to reach to the X105cdf device, without using the formerly cut cable ?