Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

When hooking up my kw-avx740. I got a message on the screen

Customer Question

When hooking up my kw-avx740. I got a message on the screen saying to check wiring and reset radio. I checked wires and all seemed good. I disconnected the face plate and when I reattched it, the unit would not power up. All there is is the buttons are illuminated but the unit is unresponsive.
Rob
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Rob and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Rob, have you considered / performed a RESET first? If tried/problem persist, then using the multi-meter, can you please test for the presence and consistency of +12V on the yellow wire?Then disconnect any and all speaker wires and ensure that no strand/bare wire may inadvertently touch any other wire or ground.And then, can you please try disconnecting the red wire from where it is currently connected and then connect it temporarily to the yellow wire while still monitoring the voltage with the multi-meter.Try the JVC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With the key off. I have 12.4 volts on the yellow wire. With the key on I have 12.4volts on the red as well.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Appreciate the post back Rob.Ensure that the black wire is tied to a metal bracket, support or frame and not only to the harness' ground line.Consider the RESET if have not been tried. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix.This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The reset button does nothing. Nothing changes. I have noticed that my dash lights now don't work. Everything else seems to be fine and working. I have checked all fuses and all are ok. I can put the original stereo back into the car and it works just fine. I can't tell right now if my dash lights are working as its very bright out now.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
As posted above, a non-corrective RESET would be indicative of an internal hardware issue. To confirm, bench test the JVC KW-AVX740 with the red and yellow wires tied together to a +12V source.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have to do that on a few days. I am heading out of town today.
Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I understand and would appreciate an update when able.