Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant

We bought a used 2008 ford expedition limited and the

Customer Question

we bought a used 2008 ford expedition limited and the navigation system does not work correctly
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: we tried a different updated disc. but it doesn't read it always. I've only got it to work once or twice and it only worked for a little bit. when it quit working it said that it couldn't read the disc
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was hoping to
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.
It sounds like the disk mechanism may need to be cleaned. This is an easy process however. All you have to do is run a cleaning disc in the unit. Here is a link to an example of what I'm talking about
If that doesn't help the unit might be in need of service. Does it read other discs okay?