Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I installed a deck, amp & speakers. It's loud & sounds good

Customer Question

I installed a deck, amp & speakers. It's loud & sounds good but once & while I get a loud kinda pop & change in sound. What's going on?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. You may have a loose connection, either in the speaker wires, or in the ground of the main power given to the deck... or somewhere else. Check the power connection, make sure to brush it with a clean dry brush, then wipe the metal of the connectors (power AND ground) down until it shines, then re-connect firmly. Check all the speaker wires, and do the same brush-then-wipe for all connectors. Then re-connect firmly and securely. Note that the ground connection, for the outer metal case of this, given that it's a car radio, is quite vital: it shields the deck from the abundant and varied radio noise that an automobile's ignition and spark plugs produce so much of. If its ground connection isn't quite clean and quite tight, such noise could cause the Pop-ping that you report.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. That's the only thing I think it could be, just wanted 2nd & expert opinion.
OK. Glad to hear that we agree. If you're done with the case, if you need no further advice on the matter, could you please rate my answer? Thanks, ***** ***** luck.