Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant

I have a Pioneer HDD AVIC-Z1 in dash unit in my vehicle. The

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer HDD AVIC-Z1 in dash unit in my vehicle. The unit works fine with the exception of the GPS. The GPS shows the vehicle driving all over the place and even off shore. The vehicle is originally from North Carolina, but currently displays close to my location. Are there commands that can bring and keep the vehicles cursor to my location ? or would a Firmware update help.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.There is a reset on the front of these head units. On the face, either in the lower right hand corner or the upper left hand corner, you will find a small reset button recessed behind the surface (on some models, it will be a button with a small triangle). With the ignition turned OFF, use a pen, paperclip or something similar to press and hold that button for a few seconds. That will do a complete reset of the head unit. That is what I would do before proceeding with anything else to see if it resolves or changes anything.If you have already done the reset, and unit is under warranty (these come with a one year warranty on parts and labor) you may want to consider just having it repaired under warranty. Since you have already done the reset, I would consider having it repaired under warranty.Here is the support page for Pioneer Warranty. can enter the serial number to verify the warranty, then open the ticket right from that pageIf this isn't an option, let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.Mike
The firmware update may help, especially if it seems to be moving but the maps just aren't there. Here is a link to the updates too
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Mike: The reset button worked well in bringing my vehicle cursor to my location, but as my vehicle starts to move the cursor moves much faster, cross country and often continues to move while i am stopped. Is it possible the cursor is following a satellite ? The AVIC- Z1 unit is not new, has no warranty and was installed properly as for as I can tell, but there has been a pop up message saying unit needs connected to parking brake ? I see nothing. The GPS remains unusable.Brad
There is a connection to the parking brake - that connection must have come loose or failed somehow. The reason it connects to the parking brake is so that it can detect when it is engaged and when it is, unlock all the features - for legal/safety reasons. But that should not affect where you are showing up on the GPS.Did you try the updates I gave you a link to? Mike
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mike:I tried the reset button again the next day at my home location. This time the cursor did not come back. It is about 20 miles away. The cursor does show when I turn !
Thus far the links that you had sent have not been helpful in that I am not finding a Pioneer Service Center for the AVIC-Z1 or the software requested has been discontinued in 2013. Can you suggest any other possibilities, I am back in the same place I started from.Brad