Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Name is ***** ***** About ready to purchase all Pioneer

Customer Question

Hi name is ***** *****
About ready to purchase all Pioneer items as follows for 98/99 ck old body style GMC Crew Cab dual wheel pick up.
In front doors component speakers 6.5 Round TS A1606C
Back Doors 6.5 Round TS A168R
Back of cab corner panels replace 4x6 or cut out for 4x10.
Amp GS A6604 and Head Unit AVH X7700BT single din flip up screen
my questions for you are - will a 4x10 speakers give me better sound then 4x6?
the AVH head unit has three channels. Was thinking about the two channel on the amp running front and rear door speakers and the third channel on head unit running rear cab speakers?
next question - what size speaker wire is appropriate?
What size - power wire to amp and ground?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The 4 by 10 speakers will have greater sound-producing area to render bass sound, or low frequencies. The third channel could run an accessory amplifier and that could run two rear cab speakers, for instance. Accessory amps are often placed behind the rear seat back.But, if you didn't want an accessory amp, to keep your rear speakers from sounding odd and bad and weak (from poor impedance matching) you'd have to get the right impedance of speakers, if you were running two rear speakers off one channel, to together match the impedance of that one channel (as opposed to havin one speaker running off of one channel) - the two speakers off one channel would have to be either each one twice the impedance of the channel they run off of, if wired in parallel, or else half the impedance of the channel they run off of, if wired in series. Speaker wire should be heavy enough to carry the peak wattage output of the one channel that feeds them... if the peak wattage output of the whole AVH head unit is X Watts, then each channel probably has a peak of roughly 1/2 of X Watts, very roughly. Again, it depends both upon the peak wattage output of the head unit's channels, and the peak output of the speakers. The lower of the two is all you need the wire to be rated for. And thicker wire is harder to attach properly to some types of speaker terminals.