Thomas Tullo
Thomas Tullo, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Owner at Auto Options
75484377

I bought a Kenwood DDX512 y39-5960-10SER# ***** It seems to have a

Customer Question

I bought a Kenwood DDX512 y39-5960-10
SER# ***** It seems to have a code in it and I don't know it. I called the Pawn shop and neither do they
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.I would proceed cautiously, and note the serial number down, and call the police with it. The pawnshop might not have done so, and it might possibly be stolen - though there is another interpretation: An activation code for a car radio or car stereo etc., is an anti-theft feature. When the device is removed from the car, the battery power is interrupted to it, and this activates the anti-theft feature. The entering of an obscure code is required before one may use the radio or stereo etc. again. Sometimes this anti-theft feature is activated when no theft is involved, for instance:- when a car stereo is sold, after being taken out of a car, by its legitimate owner.- when a car's battery has been disconnected for servicing of various sorts or in the event of car battery failure. The code is very hard to 'generate' or hard to find. It would not be an effective anti-theft deterrent otherwise. I have not the means to generate the code for you (though I believe it is generated from the serial # ***** the device and according to the maker and model.) I advise that you take the car to a dealership for that brand, and have them generate and enter the code for your stereo.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I Have proof of purchase. so basically I just got screwed for using this site. I live in Alabama and the Kenwood dealership is in Virginia.
This site sucks. I hope you enjoyed screwing me out of what little money I have
I have no power to charge or adjust charges, as a JustAnswer.com Expert.For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you toCustomer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usThey will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness. (Allow me to add, to clarify what I said: "a dealership for that brand", means a dealership for that brand of *car*. There probably is one in Alabama.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's an aftermarket stereo. nothing that comes in a car you buy at a dealership
I'm sorry, I mistakenly assumed otherwise. In that case, yes, you would have to send it to a Kenwood outlet to have the serial # ***** or some such procedure. In case another Expert might have a different and better answer, and since I have run out of ideas, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  Thomas Tullo replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** take it back to pawn shop and get money back, they can't sell you a radio with a code if they don't have the code.or have them send it to Kenwood and reset it for no code.